Evaluation of Cases Admitted for Age Determination to The Forensic Medicine Department of Akdeniz University School of Medicine
Objective: Age determination is an important procedure which is frequently used in anthropologic studies and daily practice of forensic medicine for identification. In this study, in live cases, we aimed; to determine characteristics of age determination cases referred to Forensic Medicine Department of Akdeniz University School of Medicine between 2002 and 2011 to discuss findings of used method by comparing literature and to provide data about age determination in purpose to lead future studies will be conducted in our country.
Materials and Methods: Birth places, gender, chronological age and claimed age, reported age, type of institution that requested an age determination, nature of event were all reviewed. We compared differences between reported ages and chronological ages.
Results: In 10 years of study period, 205 age determination were carried out where 58 of them were male (28,3%) and 147 of them were female (71,7%). The average difference between determined ages and ID ages was 2,35 in cases between 0-22 years old. Where in sexual abuse/assault cases the average difference between determined ages and chronological ages were 2,21, the average for confirmed chronological age cases were 1,72.
Conclusions: As a conclusion, there is statistically significant difference between chronological and determined ages. We proposed that instead of using methods suitable for other societies, a unique method should be formed for Turks via examining also tooth eruption and mineralization levels in a sufficient number of eligible samples selected from the country.
2. Baransel Isır A. Adli Hekimlikte Yaş Tayini. In: Koç S, Can M. eds. Birinci Basamakta Adli Tıp, İstanbul, 2. Baskı; 2011: 222-234 .
3. Yılmazer Ö. Adli Tıp Kurumu’nda Yaş Tayininde Kullanılan Yöntemin Verimlilik Açısından Değerlendirilmesi. Uzmanlık Tezi, T.C. Adalet Bakanlığı Adli Tıp Kurumu, İstanbul, 2006.
4. Uğur Ersoy Ö. Kemik Yaşının Değerlendirilmesi.0-18 Yaş Arası Popülasyonda Kesitsel Çalışma. Uzmanlık Tezi, T.C. Adalet Bakanlığı Adli Tıp Kurumu, İstanbul, 2003.
5. Çöloğlu AS. Adli Olaylarda Kimlik Belirlemesi. In:Soysal Z, Çakalır C. Eds. Adli Tıp, Cilt 1. Cerrahpaşa Tıp Fakültesi Yayınları. İstanbul; 1999: 73-92.
6. Üzel M. Türk popülasyonunda puberte dönemi kemik gelişimi ve yaş tayini üzerine anatomik ve radyolojik araştırma. Doktora Tezi, İ.Ü. Sağlık Bilimleri Enstitüsü Anatomi Anabilim Dalı, İstanbul, 2002.
7. Üzel M. Kemik Yaşı Belirlenmesi, Sosyoekonomik Faktörler ve Beslenme İlişkilerinin İncelenmesi. Uzmanlık Tezi, İ.Ü. Cerrahpaşa Tıp Fakültesi Anatomi Anabilim Dalı, İstanbul, 2002.
8. Baransel Isır A, Buken B, Tokdemir M, Dülger HE, Erel Ö, Fedakar R. 1998-2005 yılları arasında Türkiye’de 5 farklı bölgedeki üniversitelerin adli tıp anabilim dallarında raporlandırılan yaş tayini olgularının irdelenmesi. Türkiye Klinikleri Adli Tıp Derg. 2009; 29(2): 304-313.
9. Büken B, Demir F, Büken E. 2001-2003 yılları arasında Abant İzzet Baysal Üniversitesi Düzce Tıp Fakültesi Adli Tıp Anabilim Dalı’na gönderilen yaş tayini olgularının analizi ve adli tıp pratiğinde karşılaşılan güçlükler. Düzce Tıp Fakültesi Derg. 2003; 5(2): 18-23.
10. Schmeling A, Black S. An Introduction to the History of Age Estimation in the Living. In: Black S, Payne JJ, Aggrawal A. Eds. Age Estimation in the Living. Chichester, UK. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 2010; 1-18.
11. Schmidt S, Koch B, Mühler B, Schmeling A. Optimizing the Thiemann-Nitz method for skeletal age determination for forensic age diagnostics in live subjects. Scand J Forensic Sci. 2007; 1: 1-32.
12. Yıldırım A, Çetin İ, Özer E, Gümüş B. Adli Tıp Anabilim Dalına 2006-2010 yılları arasında yaş tayini için başvuran olguların değerlendirilmesi. Çağdaş Tıp Derg. 2011; 1(2): 56-61.
13. Baransel Isır A, Dülger HE. 1998-2005 yılları arasında Gaziantep Üniversitesi Adli Tıp Anabilim Dalında raporlandırılan yaş tayini olgularının irdelenmesi. Türkiye Klinikleri Adli Tıp Derg. 2007; 4(1): 1-6.
14. Lynnerup N, Belard E, Buch-Olsen K, Sejrsen B, Damgaard-Pedersen K. Intra- and interobserver error of the Greulich–Pyle method as used on a Danish forensic sample. Forensic Sci Int 2008; 179: 242-242.
15. Santoro V, De Donno A, Marrone M, Campobasso CP, Introna F. Forensic age estimation of living individuals: A retrospective analysis. Forensic Sci Int 2009; 193: 129-129.
16. Türk Medeni Kanunu. Resmi Gazete Sayı 24607, Kanun Numarası: 4271. Kabul Tarihi: 22/11/2001.
17. Büken B, Büken E, Şafak AA, Yazıcı B, Erkol Z, Mayda AS. Is the Gök Atlas sufficiently reliable for forensic age determination of Turkish children? Türkiye Klinikleri Adli Tıp Derg 2008; 38(4): 319-327.
18. Büken B, Şafak AA, Büken E, Yazıcı B, Erkol Z, Erzengin ÖU. Is the Tanner–Whitehouse (TW3) method sufficiently reliable for forensic age determination of Turkish children? Türkiye Klinikleri Adli Tıp Derg 2010; 40 (5): 797-805.
19. Büken B, Şafak AA, Yazıcı B, Büken E, Mayda AS. Is the assessment of bone age by the Greulich–Pyle method reliable at forensic age estimation for Turkish children? Forensic Sci Int. 2007; 173(2-3): 146-153.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine is an open access scientific journal. Open access means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition of open access.
The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine requires the author as the rights holder to sign and submit the journal's agreement form prior to acceptance. The authors retain copyright of their work and grant the Association for its publication. This ensures both that The Journal has the right to publish the article and that the author has confirmed various things including that it is their original work and that it is based on valid research.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
*Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.