Turkish Adaptation of Cyberbullying Scale
Objective: Cyberbullying is all of technically or relationally endamaging behaviors that are exhibited to an individual or a group, a specific or a legal entity by using information and communication technologies. It is observed questionnaire type of classification or sorting type of measuring tools are mostly used in terms of cyberbullying abroad. The aim of the study is to make Turkish adaptation of ‘Cyberbullying Questionnaire’ that is developed by Stewart at al.
Materials and Methods: This survey is carried out in 5 public and 2 private schools depended on the Ministry of Education in Pendik district of Istanbul city. 633 students who study in 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grades of the chosen schools construct the sample of the study. In the research, Socio-demographic Information Form and Cyberbullying Scale are used as data collection tool through face to face application. The findings obtained are analyzed via SPSS 21 statistical software.
Results: The coefficients of “Factor Analysis” and “Cronbach Alpha” are calculated as validity-reliability tests. After factor analysis, coefficient of total internal consistency of the scale consisted of 13 items is calculated as crα=.87. The coefficients of the factors’ internal consistency are calculated as crα=.85 for the first factor and crα=.74 for the second one. With the total scores gathered from Cyberbullying Scale, the relationship between severity of being disturbed by other children and disturbing other children in the internet environment is found positively (r=0,48) meaningful.
Conclusion: Cyberbullying Scale, which has adapted to Turkish is evaluated as applicable and has high internal consistency.
2. Ayas, T. ve Horzum, MB. Sanal zorba-kurban ölçek geliştirme çalışması. Akademik Bakış Dergisi. 2010; 19:1-17.
3. Li, Q. Cyberbullying in Schools: A research of gender differences. School Psychology International. 2006;27(2):157-170. DOI: 10.1177/0143034306064547
4. Belsey, B. Cyberbullying: A real and growing threat. ATA Magazine. 2007;88(1):14-21.
5. Patchin, JW. ve Hinduja, S. Bullies move beyond the school yard: A preliminary look at cyberbullying. Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice. 2006;4(2):148-169. DOI: 10.1177/1541204006286288
6. Arıcak, OT, Kınay H. ve Tanrıkulu, T. Siber zorbalık ölçeğinin ilk psikometrik bulguları. Hasan Ali Yücel Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi. 2012;17:101-114.
7. Willard, NE. The authority and responsibility of school officals in responding to cyberbullying. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2007;41:64-65. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2007.08.013
8. Beran,T. Ve Li, Q. Cyber-harassment: A study of a new method for an old behavior: Journal of Educational Computing Research. 2005;32(3):265-277.
9. Erdur-Baker, Ö ve Tanrıkulu, İ. Cyberbullying in Turkey: Its correlates and links to depressive symptoms. Journal of eHealth Technology and Application. 2009;7:16-23.
10. Kowalski, RM ve Limber, SP Electronic bullying among middle school students. The journal of adolescent health: official publication of the society for Adolescant Medicine. 2007; 41(6): 22-30. DOI:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2007.08.017
11. Smith, KP, Mahdavi J, Carvalho M, Fisher S, Russell S. ve Tippett N. Cyberbullying: Its nature and impact in secondary school pupils. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2008;49(4):376-385. DOI:10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01846.x
12. Topçu Ç, ve Erdur-Baker Ö. The revised cyber bullying inventory (CBI): Validity and reliability. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2010;5: 660-664. DOI:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.161
13. Stewart, RW, Drescher, FC, Maack, DJ, Ebesutani, C. ve Young, J. The Development and Psychometric Investigation of the Cyberbullying Scale. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 2014;29(12):2218-2238. DOI: 10.1177/0886260513517552
14. Arıcak, OT, Tanrıkulu, T, Kınay H. Siber Mağduriyet Ölçeğinin İlk Psikometrik Bulguları. Akdeniz Eğitim Araştırmaları Dergisi. 2012;11:1-6.
15. Arıcak, OT, Kınay H., Tanrıkulu, T. Siber Zorbalık Ölçeğinin İlk Psikometrik Bulguları. Hasan Ali Yücel Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi.2012;17:110-114.
16. Tanrıkulu, T, Kınay H, Arıcak, OT. Siber Zorbalığa İlişkin Duyarlılık Ölçeği: Geçerlik ve Güvenirlik Çalışması. Trakya Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi.2013;3(1):38-47.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine is an open access scientific journal. Open access means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition of open access.
The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine requires the author as the rights holder to sign and submit the journal's agreement form prior to acceptance. The authors retain copyright of their work and grant the Association for its publication. This ensures both that The Journal has the right to publish the article and that the author has confirmed various things including that it is their original work and that it is based on valid research.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
*Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.