An Evaluation of Legal Capacity in 18-65 Years Old Population
Objective: In modern societies, civil law defines specific rights and capacities for individuals. The legal capacity of a person to use those rights encompasses the rights and functions required to be able to acquire responsibilities. When individuals do not have legal capacity for various reasons, the legal system takes the view of those with specialist medical knowledge. To the best of our knowledge, there are no studies in literature which have evaluated the legal capacity of age groups other than geriatrics.
Materials and Methods: A retrospective examination was made of the forensic reports of 18-65 years old patients who were referred to the Forensic Medicine Department for evaluation of legal capacity in the period 01/01/2015-31/12/2016.
Results: A total of 108 cases were evaluated in the age range of 18-64 years. According to the anamnesis taken, the medical records examined, the tests applied and the psychological status examination, the decisions given were that 56 (51.9%) were restricted in the context of item 405 TMK (Turkish Civil Code), 3 (2.8%) could be restricted on request in the context of item 408 TMK, 11 (10.2%) could be taken into custody in situations determined as threatening him/herself or his/her family with hardship or poverty through extravagance, poor lifestyle and poor management of assets, 4 (3.7%) were defined as eligible for the appointment of a legal advisor and 34 (31.5%) were not determined with any state requiring custody.
Conclusion: In this study, it was found that the most common disorder in people between...
2. Kırbaş D. Adli Nöropsikiyatri: Nobel Tıp; 2016.
3. Koç N. Türk Medeni Kanunundaki Düzenlemeler Işığında Vesayet Hukukuna Genel Bir Bakış, DEÜHFD, 2005;7: 99-120
4. Cavlak M, Odabasi Balseven A, Akcan R, Yildirim MŞ, Lale A, Heybet ER, et al. Assessment of legal capacity in the geriatric population: a retrospective study. Turkish Journal of Geriatrics/Türk Geriatri Dergisi. 2014;17(4):350-355
5. Moye J, Marson DC. Assessment of decision-making capacity in older adults: an emerging area of practice and research. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences. 2007;62(1):3-11. doi: 10.1093/geronb/62.1.P3
6. Bolu A, Toygar M, Pan E, Erdem M, Ünlü G. Bir eğitim hastanesi psikiyatri kliğinde adli olguların değerlendirilmesi; beş yıllık inceleme. Gülhane Tıp Dergisi. 2014; 56:1-4 doi: 10.5455/gulhane.36271
7. Belli H, Ural C, Vardar MK, Tezcan B. Şizofrenide şiddet ve cinayet eylemi: risklerin değerlendirilmesi, önleyici tedbirler ve tedavide klozapinin yeri. Düşünen Adam Psikiyatri ve Nörolojik Bilimler Dergisi. 2011; 24:222-7. DOI: 10.5350/DAJPN2011240308
8. Demirel OF, Balcioglu I. Alkol ve Madde Bağımlılığında Ceza Sorumluluğu ve Fiil Ehliyeti. New Yeni Symposium 2015; 53:27-33 DOI: 10.5455/NYS.20150309011520
9. Copoglu US, Bülbül F, Kokaçya MH, Alıcı D, Taştan MF, Ünal A, et al. Adli psikiyatri polikliniğinde değerlendirilen olguların psikiyatrik tanıları, madde kullanım durumları, sosyo-demografik ve klinik özellikleri. New. New/Yeni Symposium Journal; 2014:52(1);1-6 DOI: 10.5455/NYS.20140827121119
10. Ozden SY. Adli Psikiyatri. Ankara: Nobel; 2015.
11. Tosun M, Çetin A, Konuk N. Alkol ve madde bağımlılığının adli psikiyatrik yönleri. Turkiye Klinikleri Journal of Psychiatry Special Topics. 2011;4(1):81-90.
12. Karbeyaz K, Akkaya H, Gündüz T, Urazel B, Kökçüoğlu MA. Yaşlılık Nedeniyle Düzenlenen Fiili (Hukuki) Ehliyet Raporları; Eskişehir Deneyimi. Adli Tıp Dergisi. 2013;27(1):10-6. doi:10.5505/adlitip.2013.93695
13. Savrun BM. Türkiye'de Adli Psikiyatri Uygulamaları. Turkiye Klinikleri Journal of Psychiatry Special Topics. 2011;4(1):60-6.
14. Arcese G, Drunat O, Arbault S, Gonthier R. Evaluation of the quality of medical certificates in the context of the opening of a measure of legal protection for adults over 60 years of age. Gériatrie et Psychologie Neuropsychiatrie du Vieillissement 2017:15(2);145-152. DOI: 10.1684/pnv.2017.0664
15. Kalenderoğlu, A, Yumru M, Selek S, Savaş HA. Gaziantep Üniversitesi tıp fakültesi adli psikiyatri birimine gönderilen olguların incelenmesi. Nöropsikiyatri Arşivi/Archives of Neuropsychiatry 2007; 44: 86-90
Copyright (c) 2017 Halil İlhan Aydoğdu, Mehmet Askay, Güven Seçkin Kırcı, Erdal Özer
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine is an open access scientific journal. Open access means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition of open access.
The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine requires the author as the rights holder to sign and submit the journal's agreement form prior to acceptance. The authors retain copyright of their work and grant the Association for its publication. This ensures both that The Journal has the right to publish the article and that the author has confirmed various things including that it is their original work and that it is based on valid research.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
*Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.