Analysis of Suicidal Deaths in Denizli A 10-Years Retrospective Autopsy Study
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 23 No. 2 (2018)
Objective: In this study, it was aimed to examine the characteristics of suicides in demographic way and to investigate whether it forms difference in various aspects mainly the suicide methods chosen in the subsequent years and especially whether there is an increase in the rate of suicide with firearms.
Materials and Methods: In this retrospective study, 444 suicide autopsies which were performed Pamukkale University Faculty of Medicine, Forensic Medicine Department between 2007 and 2016 were examined in terms of the changes in parameters such as age, gender, suicide site chosen and suicide method, the distribution of the suicides due to the seasons and years.
Results: Seventy-nine-point one percent of the events are male and 20.9% of them are women. The suicides are seen mostly in 19-30 age group. Hanging was seen to be the most chosen suicide method with 52.3% and the use of firearms follows this with 28.4%. It was noted that the method of firearm suicides increased in the subsequent years and this increase rate was found to be higher in young men.
Conclusion: It is observed that a significant increase in the suicides depending on firearms. The fact that the adolescents and young adult males form the risky group indicates that it should be careful about the individuals in this group. New regulations related to the possession and conveyance both the shotgun and firearms and the effective struggle with all kinds of unlicensed gun should also be included in the suicide prevention programs and protocols.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Preventing Suicide A global imperative. World Health Organization, 2014. http://www.who.int/mental_health/suicide-prevention/world_report_2014/en/ Erişim tarihi: 26.09.2017
- Türkiye İstatistik Kurumu. İntihar İstatistikleri. http://www.tuik.gov.tr Erişim tarihi: 26.09.2017
- Pagea A, Liub S, Gunnellc D, Astell-Burtd T, Fengd X, Wangb L, Zhoub M. Suicide by pesticide poisoning remains a priority for suicide prevention in China: Analysis of national mortality trends 2006-2013. J Affect Disor 2017;208:418-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2016.10.047
- Oner S, Yenilmez C, Ozdamar K. Sex-related differences in methods of and reasons for suicide in Turkey between 1990 and 2010. J Int Med Res 2015;43(4):483-93. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060514562056
- Azmak AD. Suicides in Trakya region, Turkey, from 1984 to 2004. Med Sci Law 2006;46(1):19-30. https://doi.org/10.1258/rsmmsl.46.1.19
- Hassamal S, Keyser-Marcus L, Crouse Breden E, Hobron K, Bhattachan A, Pandurangi A. A brief analysis of suicide methods and trends in Virginia from 2003 to 2012. Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:104036. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/104036
- Kõlves K, Potts B, De Leo D. Ten years of suicide mortality in Australia: Socio-economic and psychiatric factors in Queensland. J Forensic Leg Med 2015;36:136-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2015.09.012
- Chia BH, Chia A, Ng WY, Tai BC. Suicide methods in Singapore (2000-2004): types and associations. Suicide Life Threat Behav 2011;41(5):574-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2040-1124.2010.00046.x
- Wong PW, Caine ED, Lee CK, Beautrais A, Yip PS. Suicides by jumping from a height in Hong Kong: a review of coroner court files. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2014;49(2):211-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-013-0743-6
- Erel Ö, Katkıcı U, Dirlik M, Özkök M.S. Anabilim Dalımız tarafından otopsileri yapılan intihar olgularının değerlendirilmesi. ADÜ Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 2003;4(3):13-5.
- Erkol Z, Beyaztaş FY, Büken B, Erkol H. Kahramanmaraş ili'ndeki intihar orijinli ölüm olgularının analizi. Turkiye Klinikleri J Foren Med 2007;4(1):7-16
- Demirci Ş, Günaydın G, Doğan KH. Konya'da 2000-2005 yılları arasında gerçekleşen intihar orijinli ölüm olgularının retrospektif değerlendirilmesi. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2007;12(2):62-7. https://doi.org/10.17986/blm.2007122638
- Khan I, Shakeel M, Usmani JA, Hasan SA. Emerging Trends of Intentional Firearm Injuries in Northern India: A Study. J Clin Diagn Res 2016;10(10):HC01-HC04. https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/23392.8760
- Dias D, Mendonça MC, Real FC, Vieira DN, Teixeira HM. Suicides in the Centre of Portugal: seven years analysis. Forensic Sci Int 2014;234:22-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2013.10.034
- Shaw D, Fernandes J, Rao C. Suicide in child and adolescent: A 10-year retrospective review. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2005;26(4):309-15
- Metin A, Çileli G, Koçar İ, Dokgöz H. Mersin İlinde Gerçekleşen İntihar Olgularının Sosyodemoğrafik Özellikleri. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2014;19(1):49-52. https://doi.org/10.17986/blm.2014191769
- Biddle L, Donovan J, Owen-Smith A, Potokar J, Longson D, Hawton K, Kapur N, Gunnell D. Factors influencing the decision to use hanging as a method of suicide: qualitative study. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;197(4):320-5
- Kellermann AL, Rivara FP, Somes G, Reay DT, Francisco J, Banton JG, Prodzinski J, Fligner C, Hackman BB. Suicide in the home in relation to gun ownership. N Engl J Med. 1992;327(7):467-72
- Siegel M, Rothman EF. Firearm Ownership and Suicide Rates Among US Men and Women, 1981-2013. Am J Public Health. 2016;106(7):1316-22. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303182
- Atlı A, Bulut M, Uysal C, Kaya M.C, Karababa F, Güneş M, Beşaltı S, Bez Y, Sır A. Silah ruhsatı rapor başvuruları: Şanlıurfa örneği. Mustafa Kemal Üniv. Tıp Derg. 2012;3(12):28-38
- Akcan A. Silahlanma... diğer ülkelerde neler oluyor? Anatolian Journal of Psychiatry 2006;7(suppl.1):5-9.
- Salib E, Cawley S, Healy R. The significance of suicide notes in the elderly. Aging Ment Health 2002;6:186-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/13607860220126745
- Mohanty S, Sahu G, Mohanty MK, Patnaik M. Suicide in India: a four year retrospective study. J Forensic Leg Med. 2007;14:185-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcfm.2006.05.007
- Cavanagh B, Ibrahim S, Roscoe A, Bickley H, While D, Windfuhr K, Appleby L, Kapur N. The timing of general population and patient suicide in England, 1997-2012. J Affect Disord. 2016 Jun;197:175-81. Epub 2016 Mar 2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2016.02.055
- Miller TR., Furr-Holden CD., Lawrence BA., Weiss HB. Suicide deaths and nonfatal Hospital admissions for deliberate self-harm in the United States. Temporality by day of week and month of year. Crisis, 33 (2012), pp. 169-177
- Kumral B, Taktak Ş, Ünsal A, Özdes T, Büyük Y, Özdemir RO. lnfluence of seasonality on suicidal hanging in Istanbul, 1979-2012: Associations with gender, age, location and instruments of suicide. Nobel Medicus, 2014;11(1):49-54