This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Re-Autopsy: Dealing with Almost Impossibility?
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 25 No. 3 (2020)
Performing an autopsy on a body that was autopsied before becomes a very difficult situation; especially for the cases that there is no first autopsy report or any information. Depending on the impossibilities to reach the findings detected in the first autopsy; it becomes a very difficult procedure which is almost impossible. Practically it seems that the important point in such cases is developing trust by sharing the findings and information as much as possible.
We would like to discuss the situation on three cases that were re-autopsied after the first autopsy procedures performed abroad.
- Nithin M D, Rani S. Autopsies on foreign nationals- Practical problems and solutions. Egyption Journal of Forensic Sciences 2016; 6: 26-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejfs.2015.01.005
- Green M A. Sudden and suspicious deaths outside the deceased's own country- time for an international protocol. Forensic Science International 1982; 20: 71-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(82)90108-6
- Committee of Ministers. Council of Europe. Recommendation no. R (99) 3 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on the harmonization of medico-legal autopsy rules. Forensic Science International 2000;111(1-3):5-58.
- The Minnesota Protocol on the Investigation of Potentially Unlawful Death (2016) The revised United Nations Manual on the Effective Prevention and Investigation of Extra-legal, Arbitrary and Summary Executions. https://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/MinnesotaProtocol.pdf
- Al-Waheeb S, Al-Kandary N, Aljerian K. Forensic autopsy practice in the Middle East: Comparisons with the west. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine 2015; 32: 4-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jflm.2015.02.003
- Williams E J, Davidson A. Autopsy findings in bodies repatriated to the UK. Medicine, Science and the Law 2014;54(3): 139-150. https://doi.org/10.1177/0025802413499325
- Leadbeatter S. Deaths of British nationals abroad-a 10-year survey. Forensic Science International 1991;49(1):103-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/0379-0738(91)90177-K
- Grellner W, Glenewinkel F, Madea B. Reasons,circumstances and results of repeat forensic medicine autopsy. Archiv fur Kriminologie 1998; 202(5-6):173-178.
- Boukis D. Repeat autopsies on corpses from abroad. A futile effort?, Am J Forensic Med Pathol.1986;7(3):216-8.
- Code of Criminal Procedure https://www.mevzuat.gov.tr/MevzuatMetin/1.5.5271.pdf date accessed: 06.01.2020.
- Demirci Ş, Doğan K.H, Erkol Z, Deniz İ. Konya'da 2001-2007 yılları arasında gerçekleştirilen Fethi kabir olgularının değerlendirilmesi. Adli Tıp Bülteni, 2008; 13 (2): 63-8. https://doi.org/10.17986/blm.2008132673
- Birincioğlu İ, Turan N, Yaşar Teke H. Trabzon'da fethi kabir otopsileri. Adli Tıp Dergisi 2009; 23:11-17.
- Gök E, Baduroğlu E, Çetin S, Fedakar R, Aliustaoğlu FS. Bursa'da Otopsisi Yapılan Fethi Kabir Olgularının Değerlendirilmesi. Uludağ Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 39 (1) 55-60, 2013.
- E Gök E , Akan O , Eren B , Fedakar R, Şahin E. Fethi kabir ve adli otopsi ile tanı konulan tek ventriküllü kalp: Bir olgu sunumu. Dicle Tıp Dergisi 2015; 42 (4): 522-524. https://doi.org/10.5798/diclemedj.0921.2015.04.0621
- Karger B, Lorin de la Grandmaison GL, Bajanowski T, Brinkmann B. Analysis of 155 consecutive forensic exhumations with emphasis on undetected homicides. Int J Legal Med 2004; 118: 90-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00414-003-0426-z
- Ortmann C, Pfeiffer H, Brinkman B. Demonstration of myocardial necrosis in the presence of advanced putrefaction. Int J Legal Med 2000; 114: 50-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004140000140
- Grellner W, Glenewinkel F. Exhumations: synopsis of morphological and toxicological findings in relation to the postmortem interval. Survey on a 20-year period and review of the literature. Forensic Sci Int 1997; 90: 139-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-0738(97)00154-0