This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Organization of Emergency Departments and Changing Patient Profile During COVID-19 Outbreak: A University Hospital Experience in Turkey
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 25 No. COVID-19 Sp.I. (2020): Covid-19 Special Issue
During the COVID-19 epidemic, emergency departments played an important role in identifying patients, isolating, preventing in-hospital infections, and informing public health authorities. It is necessary to identify the possible patients quickly and isolate them from others.
It was necessary to reorganize the emergency departments, which will be the first place of admission for the majority of patients. Emergency patient care should continue in emergency departments even in disasters, and in many countries, emergency departments operate at maximum capacity in their normal routines. For all these reasons, policies are required to prevent crowding in health centers and to control them, especially in emergency departments identify patients before hospital admission if possible.
In this study, we explain that how the organization of a university hospital emergency department with the COVID-19 pandemic, and how to organization the infected patients, emergency patients and forensic cases in emergency department.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Jee Y. WHO International Health Regulations Emergency Committee for the COVID-19 outbreak. Epidemiol Health. 2020;42:e2020013. http://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2020013
- Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet. 2020 15-21 February; 395(10223): 497–506. http://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5.
- The Novel Coronavirus Pneumonia Emergency Response Epidemiology Team. The epidemiological characteristics of an outbreak of 2019 novel coronavirus diseases (COVID-19)—China, 2020. China CDC Weekly, 2(8), 113-122.
- World Health Organization. WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 11 March 2020. https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/ who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19—11- march-2020. Accessed May 7, 2020.
- Wang J, Zhou M, Liu F. Reasons for healthcare workers becoming infected with novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China. J Hosp Infect. 2020 May;105(1):100-101. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.03.002.
- Guan W, Ni Z, Hu Y, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med 2020;382:1708-1720. http://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032
- WHO Infection prevention and control during health care when novel coronavirus (nCoV) infection is suspected: Interim guidance 25 January 2020. Available At:https://www.who.int/publications-detail/infection-prevention-and-control-during-health-care-when- novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected-20200125. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Chavez S, Long B, Koyfman A, Liang SY. Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): A primer for emergency physicians. Am J Emerg Med. 2020 Mar 24. http://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.ajem.2020.03.036
- Cao Y, Li Q, Chen J, Guo X, Miao C, Yang H, et al. Hospital emergency management plan during the COVID‐19 epidemic. Academic Emergency Medicine, 27(4), 309-311. Acad Emerg Med. 2020 Apr; 27(4): 309–311. http://doi.org/ 10.1111/acem.13951
- Glauser W. Proposed protocol to keep COVID-19 out of hospitals. CMAJ. 2020 Mar 9; 192(10): E264–E265. http://doi.org/ 10.1503/cmaj.1095852
- Freund Y. The challenge of emergency medicine facing the COVID-19 outbreak. Eur J Emerg Med. 2020 May 4. http://doi.org/ 10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000699.
- COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2 infection) Klavuzu. Bilimsel Kurul Çalışması. Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Sağlık Bakanlığı Halk Sağlığı Genel Müdürlüğü. Erişim: https://covid19bilgi.saglik.gov.tr/depo/rehberler/COVID-19_Rehberi.pdf?type=file. Güncelleme April 14,2020.Son erişim 8 Mayıs, 2020
- TC Sağlık Bakanlığı Sağlık Hizmetleri Genel Müdürlüğü Genelgesi. 20.03.2020. Erişim: https://dosyamerkez.saglik.gov.tr/Eklenti/36907,pandemi-hastaneleripdf.pdf?0
- Türkiye’de Güncel Durum. Türkiye Cumhuriyeti Sağlık Bakanlığı. Son Güncelleme: May 09,2020. Erişim: https://covid19.saglik.gov.tr. Son Erişim 9 Mayıs, 2020.
- Emergency Medicine Association of Turkey (EMAT); ED Triage Algorithm for Possible COVID-19 patients.Version 1. Updated April 14,2020. Accessed May 8, 2020. https://tatd.org.tr/uploads/files/Olası%20COVID-19%20Algoritması.pdf
- Kamu Hastaneleri İstatistik Raporu, 2017. Türkiye Sağlık Bakanlığı, Türk Kamu Hastaneleri Genel Müdürlüğü.Ankara, 2018. Erişim: https://dosyamerkez.saglik.gov.tr/Eklenti/25828,2017pdf.pdf?0. Son erişim 8 Mayıs, 2020.
- Giwa AL, Desai A, Duca A. Novel 2019 coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19): An overview for emergency clinicians. Emerg Med Pract. 2020 May 1;22(5):1-28
- Long C, Xu H, Shen Q, et al. Diagnosis of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): rRT-PCR or CT?. Radiol. 2020 May;126:108961. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2020.108961
- Chen TY, Lai HW, Hou IL, Lin CH, Chen MK, Chou CC, Lin YR. Buffer areas in emergency department to handle potential COVID-19 community infection in Taiwan. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2020 Mar 20:101635. http://doi.org/ 10.1016/j.tmaid.2020.101635.
- Scalinci SZ, Trovato Battagliola E. Conjunctivitis can be the only presenting sign and symptom of COVID-19. IDCases. 2020;20:e00774. http://doi.org 10.1016/j.idcr.2020.e00774.
- Alkeridy WA, Almaglouth I, Alrashed R, Alayed K, Binkhamis K, Alsharidi A, Liu-Ambrose T. A Unique Presentation of Delirium in a Patient with Otherwise Asymptomatic COVID-19. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 May 8. http://doi.org/10.1111/jgs. 16536
- CDC. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Interim Infection Prevention and Con- trol Recommendations. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www. cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/infection-control/control-recommendations.html. Published February 11, 2020. Accessed May 8, 2020.
- Zhan M, Qin Y, Xue X, Zhu S. Death from Covid-19 of 23 Health Care Workers in China. N Engl J Med. 2020 Apr 15. http://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2005696
- Giamello JD, Abram S, Bernardi S, Lauria G. The emergency department in the COVID-19 era. Who are we missing? Eur J Emerg Med. 2020 May 4. http://doi.org/10.1097/MEJ.0000000000000718.
- Şimşek P, Gürsoy A. Turkish health care providers' views on inappropriate use of emergency department: who, when and why? Int Emerg Nurs. 2015;27:31–36.
- Korona dışında acil servisler boş kaldı. Yayın: 18.04.2020. Erişim: https://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/acil-servisler-bos-kaldi-41497470. Son erişim: 11.05.2020.
- Koronavirüs salgını: Covid-19 dışındaki hastalıkların tedavisi aksıyor. Yayın: 14 Nisan 2020. Erişim: https://www.bbc.com/turkce/haberler-turkiye-52280042. Son erişim: 11.05.2020.
- Balcı Y. , Ünüvar Göçeoğlu Ü. , Türkiye Klinikleri Adli Tıp ve Adli Bilimler Dergisi, COVİD- 19 Enfeksiyonu Olan Sağlık Çalışanı ve Adli Tıp Yaklaşımı, https://doi.org/10.5336/forensic.2020- 75467, 2020
- Cattaneo C. Forensic Medicine in the time of COVİD 19: an Editorial from Milano, Forensic Science İnternational Journal Pre- proof, 2020
- N. van Gelder, A. Peterman, A. Potts, M.O’ Donnell , K. Thompson, N. Shah, S. Oertelt- Prigione, Eclinical Medicine, COVİD- 19: Reducing the risk of infection might increase the risk of intimate partner violence, 2020
- Tang K. Goashan J., Ahonsi B. Sexual and reproductive health: a key issue in the emergency response to the coronavirus disease outbreak. Reproductive Health, DOİ:https://doi.org/10.1186/12978- 020-0900- 9, 2020.
- Green P. Risks to children and young people during COVID-19 pandemic. BMJ 2020; 369: m1669 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1669 ( Published 28 April 2020)