This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
A Rare Case of Congenital Pericardial Cyst Detected Postmortem
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 25 No. 3 (2020)
Congenital pericardial cysts are very rare and often found incidentally in many cases, however they can rarely cause life-threatening symptoms. We aimed to discuss on death the effect of the pericardial cyst and fatty changes in the atrioventricular (AV) node that were detected in the autopsy of a 23-year-old postpartum female.
In documents; it was written that the woman who was breastfeeding had been suffering from chest pain for some time. In autopsy; an oval, unilocular, cystic structure with a size of 7.5x7.5x4 cm adjacent to the upper lobe of the left lung, hanging on the outer surface of the pericardium was found. In the histopathological examination; fatty changes were observed in the AV node.
In our case, complications that occured after the space-occupying effect of the cyst in the mediastinum, such as arrhythmia, right ventricular outflow tract obstruction, cardiac compression, and changes due to fatty AV node were evaluated.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Parmar, Y. J., Shah, A. B., Poon, M., & Kronzon, I. Congenital abnormalities of the pericardium, Cardiology Clinics, Volume 35, Issue 4, November 2017, Pages 601-614, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccl.2017.07.012
- Kar SK, Ganguly T. Current concepts of diagnosis and management of pericardial cysts. IndianHeart J, 2017 May - Jun;69(3):364-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ihj.2017.02.021
- Ley, Marie Brix; Larsen, Maiken Kudahl. Pericardial Cyst: Cause of Sudden Cardiac Death?. Journal of forensic sciences, 2019, 64.1: 295-297. https://doi.org/10.1111/1556-4029.13826
- Fredman CS, Parsons SR, Aquino TI, Hamilton WP: Sudden death after a stress test in a patient with a large pericardial cyst. AmHeart J 1994, 127:946-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8703(94)90572-X
- Ozturk, E., Aparci, M., Haholu, A., Sonmez, G., Mutlu, H., Basekim, C. C., & Kizilkaya, E. (2007). Giant, dumbbell-shaped pericardial cyst. Texas Heart Institute Journal. 2007, 34(3), 386-387.
- Bandeira FC, de Sa VP, Moriguti JC, Rodrigues AJ, Jurca MC, Almeida- Filho OC, Marin-Neto JA, Maciel BC: Cardiac tamponade: an unusual complication of pericardial cyst. J AmSocEchocardiogr, 1996, 9:108-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-7317(96)90113-3
- Hekmat M, Ghaderi H,Tatari H,Shabestari AA, Mirjafari SA. Giant pericardial cyst: a case report and review of literature, Iran J Radiol. 2016 January;13(1): e21921. https://doi.org/10.5812/iranjradiol.21921
- White MS, Bodiwala KN, Bailey AL, Sorrell V. Symptomatic pericardial cyst in the presence of partial congenital absence of the pericardium, EuropeanHeartJournal-Cardiovascular Imaging, Volume 15, Issue 5, May 2014, Page 531, https://doi.org/10.1093/ehjci/jet242
- Lin, Y. K., Chen, Y. C., Chen, J. H., Chen, S. A. & Chen, Y. J. Adipocytes modulate the electrophysiology of atrialmyocytes: Implications in obesity-induced atrial fibrillation. Basic Res. Cardiol. 2012, 107, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00395-012-0293-1
- De Coster, T.,Claus, P., Kazbanov, I.V. et al. Arrhythmogenicity of fibro-fatty infiltrations. SciRep8, 2018, 2050. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-20450-w.
- Samanta, R.,Pouliopoulos, J., Thiagalingam, A. & Kovoor, P. Role of adiposet issue in the pathogenesis of cardiac arrhythmias. Hear. rhythm: official journal Heart Rhythm Soc. 2012, 13, 311–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2015.08.016