The Blood Carboxyhemoglobin Levels of Firemen Occupationally Exposed to Carbonmonoxide
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 2 No. 1 (1997)
In this study, it has been aimed to investigate the blood- carboxyhemoglobin (COHb) levels of firemen occupationally exposed to CO. The derivative spectrophotometric method was used for the determination of carboxyhemoglobin saturation percent in blood samples. According to the result of the analysis: in the firemen, the mean COHb levels was found to be 5.93±0.25 % COHb for smokers (n*T5), 3.42 ± 0.23 %COHb for nonsmokers (n=5). In the control group, the mean COHb levels was found to be 5.48±0.22 % COHb for smokers (n=20), 1.26+0.05 % COHb for nonsmokers (n=20). Blood-COHb levels of firemen who smoke and control group were found significantly higher than the nonsmokers (p<0.05).
Key Words: Carbonmonoxide, carboxyhemoglobin, derivative spectrophotometry.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Birky M, Malek D, Paabo M. Study of biological samples obtained from victims of MGM Grand Hotel Fire. J Anal Toxicology 1983;7:265-271.
- Dominquez AM, Halstead JR, Domanski TJ. The effect of post-mortem changes carboxyhemoglobin results. J Forensic Sci 1964;9:330-341.
- Eilenhorn M, Barceloux D. Diagnosis and treatment of human poisoning. Medical Toxicology 1988;34:820-826.
- Gormsen H, Jeppesen N, Lund A. The causes of dealth in fire victims. Forensic Sci Int 1984;24.107111.
- Environmental Health Criteria 13: Carbon Monoxide, WHO, Genava. 1979.
- Coburn R. Endogenous Carbon monoxide production and body CO stores. Acta Med Scand Suppl 1967;472:269-282.
- Gajdos MD, Canso F, Korach JM. Incidence and causes of carbon monoxide intoxication: Results of an epidemiologic survey in a French department. J Forensic Sci 1991 ;46Cl6):373-376.
- Parks J, Worth HG. Carboxyhemoglobin determination by second-derivative spectroscopy. Clin Chem 1985;31(2):279-281.
- Vural N, Kahraman R. Karbonmonoksit (CO) zehirlenmesi ile ölenlerde ve sigara içenlerde karboksihemoglobin (COHb) ve methemoglobin (MetHb) düzeyleri. AÜ Ecz Fak Der 1994;23 (1-2): 11- 19.
- Vural N, Kahraman R. Factors affecting the postmortem carbon monoxide and methemoglobin concentrations. Forensic Chemistry 1994;5:93-96.
- Vural N, Motacedded Z. Standardization of crboxyhemoglobin by microspectrophotometric method and application of the method to workers occupationally exposed to carbon monoxide. AÜ Ecz. Fak. Mec. 1978;(l):51-68.
- Yılmaz A. Egzos kirliliğine maruz kalan kişilerde Karboksihemoglobin düzeyinin araştırılması. A.Ü. Ecz. Fak. Farm. Toksikoloji AD Yüksek lisans tezi. Ankara: 1994.