Social Evaluation of Accused and Victims of Assault and Battery
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 2 No. 3 (1997)
In this study demographic findings obtained from a survey among 306 victims of assault and battery who were referred in the Department of the Council of Forensic Medicine in the municipality of Sivas between June 15 and December 15, 1995, are presented. Comparing the age distribution of both the victims and accused, the two groups were most frequently represented in the 3 rd decade. Males accounted for 81.3 % of the victims and 89.1 % of the accused. Educational level was primary school and below in 47.4 % of the victims and 51.9 % of the accused, respectively. 34.6 % of the victims and 27.9 % of the accused were unemployed or housewifes. In 46.7 % there was infliction of blunt trauma without using an instrument, while the ratio was 30.7 % in cases which an instrument was used for trauma infliction. The assault took place in 48.3 % of the cases in common places and in 31.4 % in domestic locations. In 59.4 % of the cases more than two persons participated in the assault; and victim and accused did not know each other in 30.0 % of the cases, whereas in 21.3 % the assault took place among relatives and in 6.7 % between married couples. The most frequent motive was found to be financial problems and insult.
Key words: Assault and battery, victim, accused, demographic findings.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- - Breiting VB, Aalund O, Albrektsen SB, Danielsen L, Helwec- Larsen K, Jacobsen J, Kjaerulff H, Staugaard H, Thomsen JL. Injuries due to deliberate violence in areas of Denmark. I. The extent of violence, For. Sci. Int., 1989; 40: 183-9.
- - Katkıcı U, Örsal M, Özkök MS. C.Ü.T.F. Hastanesi'ne Başvuran Adli Olguların Özelliklerinin Araştırılması, C.Ü.T.F. Dergisi, 1993; 15 (1): 34-9.
- - Katkıcı U, Örsal M, Özkök MS. C.Ü.T.F. Hastanesi’ne etkili eylem sonucu yaralanarak başvuran adli olgular üzerine bir çalışma, C.Ü.T.F. Dergisi, 1993; 15 (3): 160-2.
- - Alikaşifoğlu K, Doğu E. Son değişiklikleriyle içtihadı notlu Türk Ceza Kanunu - C.M.U.K. ve Polis Mevzuatı, 5. baskı, Seçkin Kitabevi, Ankara, 1988.
- - Butchart A, Nell V, Yach D, Brown DSO, Anderson A, Radebe B, Johnson K. Epidemiology of non- fatal injuries due to external causes in Johannesburg- Soweto Part II. Incidience and determinants, Samj. Apr. 1991 ;79 (20): 472-9.
- - Butchart A, Brown DSO. Non- fatal injuries due to interpersonal violence in Johannesburg - Soweto: incidence, Determinants and Consequences, For. Sci. Int., Elsevier Scientific Publishers Ireland Ltd., 1991; 52: 35- 51.
- - Aalund O, Danielsen L, Sanhueza RO, Brown DSO. Injuries due to deliberate violence in Chile, Forensic Science International, Elsevier Scientific Publishers Ireland Ltd.,1990; 46: 189- 202.
- - Wishner AR, Schwarz DF, Grisso JA, Holmes JH, Sutton RL. Interpersonal Violence- Related Injuries in an African- American Community in Philadelphia, AJPH, November 1991; 81 (11): 1474- 6.
- - Butchort A, Nell V, Yach D, Johnson K, Radebe B. Epidemiology of non-fatal injuries due to external causes in Johannesburg - Soweto, Part I. Methodology and materials, Samj. , 20 Apr. 1991; 79: 466-71.
- - Fife D, Barancık JI, Chatterjee BF, Northeastern Ohio Trauma Study: II. Injury Rates by Age, Sex, and Cause, MS, AJPH May 1984;74 (5): 473-8.