Cardiac Dysfunction with Progressive Muscular Dystrophy a Case Report
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 9 No. 2 (2004)
The cause in sudden postmortem mostly differs in various countries in relation to the quality and range of health care systems. We wanted to present a Progressive Muscular Dystrophy case in which we had diagnostic problems. From the death examination and autopsy files, which were sent to Morgue Department of Adana Branch of the Forensic Medicine Council, it is learned that the prosecutor was informed for the case who died at home and the autopsy was performed at the State Hospital Morgue. As no special finding was detected by the external examination of the body and macroscopic examination of the organs, samples were obtained for the histopatologic and toxicologic evaluation. Myocardial signs consistent with the Duchene Muscular dystrophy were detected by the histopatologic examination of the myocardial sections that performed in the Çukurova University Medical Faculty Hospital Departments of Forensic Medicine. For this case, cardiac involvement that occurred in the clinical course of the progressive muscular dystrophy was accepted as the death cause. In this report, a case of progressive muscular dystrophy, the first case that was detected by the Çukurova University Medical Faculty Hospital Departments of Forensic Medicine was discussed in the light of the references for the interest of forensic medicine members.
Key words: Progressive Muscular Dystrophy, Sudden death, Forensic Pathology, Autopsy.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Knight B. Unexpected and Expected Death From Natural Causes. In: Knight B. Eds. Simpson's Forensic Medicine, 10th Ed. London, Sdyned, Auckland, 1991:166-171.
- Flirsch CS, Zumwatt RE. Forensic Pathology. In: Damjonov I, Linder J. Eds. Anderson Pathology, Mosby Company, Boston, Philedelphia, London, Tokyo, New York, 1996;80-83.
- Pleffner RR, Schochet SS. Skletal muscle in Anderson's Pathology. Eds. Damjonov I, Linden J. 10th. Mosby Co, St. Louis, Baltimore, Boston, Carlsbad, Chicago, Naples, Newyork, 1996;2:2622-2666.
- De Girolami U, Anthony DC, Frosch MP. Peripheral nevre and skletal muscle in Robbins Pathologic Basis of disease. Eds. Cotran, Kumar, Robbins. 5th. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, London, Toronto, Montreal, Sydney, Tokyo, 1994; 1273-1294.
- Hirsch CS. Forensic pathology and the autopsy. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1984;108:484-9.
- Grigg LE, Chan W, Mond HG, Vohra JK, Downey WF. Ventricular tachycardia and sudden death in myotonic dystrophy: clinical, electrophysiologic and pathologic features. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1985;6(l):254-6.
- Zhu X, Wheeler MT, Hadhazy M, Lam MY, McNally EM. Cardiomyopathy is independent of skeletal muscle disease in muscular dystrophy. FA- SEB J. 2002;16(9):1096-8.
- Yanagisawa A, Miyagawa M, Yotsukura M, Tsuya T, Shirato C, Ishihara T, Aoyagi T, Ishikawa K. The prevalence and prognostic significance of arrhythmias in Duchenne type muscular dystrophy. Am Heart J. 1992;124(5) :1244-50.
- Bejjani B, Finn P, Milunsky A, Amos J. The value of deletion analysis for carrier detection in Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Clin Genet. 1991;39(4):245-52.
- Yorifuji H, Tadano Y, Tsuchiya Y, Ogawa M, Goto K, Umetani A, Asaka Y, Arahata K. Emerin, deficiency of which causes Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy, is localized at the inner nuclear memb- rane.Neurogenetics. 1997 Sep; 1(2):135-40.
- Rakocevic-Stojanovic V, Grujic M, Seferovic P, Lavrnic D, Pavlovic S, Neskovic V, Romac S, Apostolski S. Myotonic dystrophy and cardiac disorders. Panminerva Med. 2000;42(4):257-61.
- Yotsukura M, Yamamoto A, Kajiwara T, Nishimura T, Sakata K, Ishihara T, Ishikawa K. QT dispersion in patients with Duchenne-type progressive muscular dystrophy.Am Heart J.1999;137 (4):672-7.
- Cox GF, Kunkel LM. Dystrophies and heart disease. Curr Opin Cardiol. 1997;12(3):329-43.
- Chenard AA, Becane HM, Tertrain F, de Kerma- dec JM, Weiss YA. Ventricular arrhythmia in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: prevalence, significance and prognosis. Neuromuscul Disord. 1993; 3(3):201-6.
- Di Maio RJ, Di Maio VJM. Natural Death as viewed by the medical examiner: A review of 1000 consecutive autopsies of individuals dying of natural disease. J Forensic Sciences JFSCAS, 1991;36:17-24.
- Ludwig J. Current methods of autopsy practice. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, London, Toronto, 1972:1-9.
- Arahata K, Ishiura S, Ishiguro T, Tsukahara T, Su- hara Y, Eguchi Y. Immunostaining if skletal and cardiac muscle surface membrane with antibody against Duchenne Muscular Dysrophy pepide. Nature, 1998;333:860-863.
- Saiot M, Kawai H, Akaike M, Adachi K, Nishida Y, Saito S. Cardiac dysfunction with Becker muscular dystrophy. Am Hearth J, 1996;132:642-647.