Sudden Cardiac Death Case with Massive Fibrosis in Heart in a 12 Years Old Boy
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 9 No. 2 (2004)
Our case was 12 years old boy already dead during hospital admittance. He had been brought to the hospital after feehng suddenly sick while playing game. There was pin prick on the inner side of left nipple, and defibrilatör spoon marks on the anterior chest wall. In external examination on macroscopic autopsy investigation heart was found hypertrophic (390 g weight, right ventricle wall thickness: 0,7 cm., left ventricle wall thickness: 2,7 cm., septum thickness: 2 cm.). Chambers, leaflets and coronary artery lumina were normal on examination. On myocardial sections wide white areas on left ventricle wall were detected. There were nonspesific macroscopic findings in the other organs. Heart muscle fibers disappeared on wide areas, collogenous connecting tissue replaced, heart muscle fibers hypertrophic, lung emphysema, passive liver congestion, sple-enic paranchymal prominent hyperemia, focal bleeding had been investigated. On microscopic evaluation we aimed to discuss effect of fibrosis and cardiac failure findings of young hypertrophic hearts on sudden cardiac deaths in medicolegal aspects.
Key words: Cardiac death, myocardial fibrosis, Adolescents.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Virmani R, Burke AP, Farb A. Sudden cardiac death. Cardiovasc Pathol 2001;10(5):211-8.
- Steinberger J, Lucas RV Jr, Edwards JE, Tims JL. Causes of sudden unexpected cardiac death in the first two decades of life. Am J Cardiol 1996;77(ll):992-5.
- Ho JS, Strickman NE. Anomalous origin of the right coronary artery from the left coronary sinus: case report and literature review. Tex Heart Inst J 2002:29(l):37-9.
- Firoozi S, Sharma S, Hamid MS, McKenna WJ. Sudden death in young athletes: HCM or ARVC? Cardiovasc Drugs Tlier 2002;16(l):ll-7.
- Doolan A, Langlois N, Semsarian C. Causes of sudden cardiac death in young Australians. Med J Aust 2004; 180(3):110-2.
- Basso C, Thiene G, Corrado D, Buja G, Melacini P, Nava A. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and sudden death in the young: pathologic evidence of myocardial ischemia. Hum Pathol 2000;31(8):988-98.
- Bowker TJ, Wood DA, Davies MJ, Sheppard MN, Cary NR, Burton JD, Chambers DR, Dawling S, Hobson HL, Pyke SD, Riemersma RA, Thompson SG. Sudden, unexpected cardiac or unexplained death in England: a national survey. QJM, 2003;96(4):269-79.
- Landing BH, Recalde AL, Lawrence TY, Shankle WR. Cardiomyopathy in childhood and adult life, with emphasis on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Pathol Res Pract 1994; 190(8):737-49.
- Nishikawa T, Ishiyama S, Shimojo T, Takeda K, Kasajima T, Momma K.PHypertrophic cardiomyopathy in Noonan syndrome. Acta Paediatr Jpn 1996;38(l):91-8.?
- Maron BJ, Epstein SE, Roberts WC. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a common cause of sudden death in the young competitive athlete. Eur Heart J (Suppl F) 1983:135-44.
- Maron BJ, Epstein SE, Roberts WC. Causes of sudden death in competitive athletes. J Am Coll Cardiol 1986;7(1):204-14.
- McKenna WJ, Stewart JT, Nihoyannopoulos P, McGinty F, Davies MJ. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy without hypertrophy: two families with myocardial disarray in the absence of increased myocardial mass. Br Heart J 1990;63(5):287-90.
- Rose AG. Evaluation of pathological criteria for diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. His- topathology 1984;8(3):395-406?14. Ahmad M, Afzal S, Malik IA, Mushtaq S, Mubarik A. An autopsy study of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Pak Med Assoc 2003;53(10):459-62.
- Spirito P, Bellone P, Harris KM, Bernabo P, Bruzzi P, Maron BJ. Magnitude of left ventricular hypertrophy and risk of sudden death in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med 2000;342(24): 1778-85.
- Varnava AM, Elliott PM, Mahon N, Davies MJ, McKenna WJ.Relation between myocyte disarray and outcome in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2001;88(3):275-9.
- Shirani J, Pick R, Roberts WC, Maron BJ. Morphology and significance of the left ventricular collagen network in young patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and sudden cardiac death. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;35(1):36-44.?18. Choudhury L, Mahrholdt H, Wagner A, Choi KM, Elliott MD, Klocke FJ, Bonow RO, Judd RM, Kim RJ.Myocar- dial scarring in asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2002;40(12):2156-64.
- Hecht GM, Klues HG, Roberts WC, Maron BJ.Coexistence of sudden cardiac death and end- stage heart failure in familial hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1993 Aug;22(2):489-97.