Clothing Examination in Forensic Medicine
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 10 No. 2 (2005)
Physical evidences have significant role in understanding and determining the manner of the forensic event. Chemical and physical examination of the clothing of the deceased and/or the injured, with wounding inflicted by firearms and various instruments (incising, stabbing etc.), is important with regard to the forensic and medical consequences. This study deals with clothing examinations performed at Council of Forensic Medicine-Department of Physical Examination, between 1995 and 1999. The relevant reports have been evaluated as to the impediments during the course of obtaining and delivery of the clothes and focuses on the factors that might affect the results of clothing examination. Of the 1172 files sent for forensic evaluation; range of fire, clothing examination, type of weapon were main questions by 61%, 18% and 4% respectively. There were errors in obtaining, preservation and handling the clothes. In some cases, the clothes were sent without files and autopsy report. Thus, it is concluded that the procedures for clothing examination should be applied in all phases.
Key words: Forensic medicine, clothing examination, firing distance determination, gunshot residues, gun types.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Fatteh A. Medico Legal Investigation of Gunshot Words. First Ed. Lippincott Co. Philadelphia, Toronto. 1976; pp.47, 130,131.
- Uner HB, Çerkezoğlu A, Şam B, Kurtaş O, Uysal C. Olay yerinden laboratuvara ateşli silah atış artıkları yönünden giysi tetkikinde dikkat edilmesi gereken hususlar. 8. Adli Tıp Günleri, Poster Sunumları Kitabı. 16-20 Ekim 1995 Antalya, SB: 19-22.
- Di Maio VJM. Gunshot Wounds, Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics and Forensic Tecniques. First Ed. CRC Press. LCL,1999.
- Uner HB. Ateşli silah artıkları. Adli Tıp Dergisi 1993; 9(l-9):83-89.
- Can M. Makine Kimya Endüstrisi Kurumu Yapımı Tabanca Mermileriyle Yapılan Atışlarda El Üzerinde Kalan Atış Artıklarının Alevsiz Atomik Absorp- siyon Spektrofotometri Yöntemiyle Tespiti.Uzmanlık Tezi, İstanbul, 2003.
- Üner HB, Polat O. Av tüfeği ile yapılan atışlarda bilardo topu saçılma etkisinin incelemesi. I.Adli Bilimler Kongresi, Poster Sunumları Kitabı. 12-15 Nisan 1994, Adana, SB:334-336.
- Taupin JM. Comparing the alleged weapon with damage to clothing. The value of multiple layers and fabrics. J Forensic Sei 1999; 44(l):205-207.
- Monahan KL, Harding HW. Damage to clothing- cuts and tears. J Forensic Sei 1990; 35:901-912.
- Taupin JM. Arrow damage to textiles. Analysis of clothing and bedding in two cases of crossbow deaths. J Forensic Sei 1998; 43(l):205-207.
- Sitine R, Varnaite J, Zakarnas A. Complex investigation of body and clothing injuries during the identification of the assault instrument. J Forensic Sei 2004; 146:59-60.
- James M. General Investigative Areas: The Crime Scene. In Introduction to Forensic Sciences. 2nd Ed. Eckerd WG. Chapter 4 The CV Mosby Co. St. Louis, Toronto, London 1980.