Deliberate Poisoning with Endosulfant Two Cases
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 10 No. 2 (2005)
Endosulfan is an insecticide containing chlorine and is used especially in agricultural areas. It is one of the most toxic insecticides. When one is acutely subjected to endosülfan at a toxic level, the primary effects are gastrointestinal irritation, instability of central nervous system, respiratory depression and cardiovascular system collapse. The primary effects of endosulfan were shown to be on central nervous system according to the studies and especially in all acute poisoning cases convulsion was encountered In this study, detection of endosülfan in milk boxes eliminates the possibility of its origin to be either accidental or suicide. It should be kept in mind that, the origin of fatal poisoning could be homicidal suchas in this case as but not only accidental or suicidal. These cases were presented because the manner of death were of the kind rarely encountered in the literature.
Key words: Insecticide, endosülfan, deliberate poisoning.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Siddique T, Okeke BC, Arshad M, Frankenberger WT Jr. Biodegradation kinetics of endosülfan by Fusarium ventricosum and a Pandoraea species. J Agric Food Chem. 2003; 51(27):8015-9.
- Schulz R. Rainfall-induced sediment and pesticide input from orchards into the Lourens River, South Africa: importance of a single event. Water Res. 2001; 35(8): 1869-76.
- Holcombe GW, Phipps GL, Fiandt JT. Toxicity of selected priority pollutants to various aquatic organisms. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 1983; 7 (4):400-9.
- Roberts DM, Karunarathna A, Buckley NA, Ma- nuweera G, Sheriff MH, Eddieston M. Influence of pesticide regulation on acute poisoning deaths in Sri Lanka. Bull World Health Organisation 2003; 81 (ll):789-98.
- Arıboğan A, Ergezer B. “İnsektisitler ve Pestisitler” Çukurova Tıp Fakültesi Anesteziyoloji Anabilim Dalı; “Zehirlenmeler Sayfası”. http://lok- man.cu.edu.tr/anestezi/reanimasyonnot/zehirlen, htm (Erişim tarihi 2004)
- Çömelekoğlu U, Büyükakdlı B, Özge A.A. Endo- sülfanın izole kurbağa siyatik siniri üzerine etkileri. Turk J Biol 2000; 24:59-64.
- Naqui, SM; Vaishnavi, C. Bioaccumulative potential and toxicity of endosülfan insecticide to non target animals. Comp Biochem. Physiol. 1993; 105(3): 347-361.
- Sharma. R. M. Effect of endosülfan on acid and alkaline phosphatase activity in liver, kidney and muscles channa gachuva Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol 1990; 44:443-448.
- Gill .T.S. Pande. J. And Tewari H. Effect of endo- sülfan on the blood and organ chemistry of freshwater fish. Barbus conchonius hamilton. Ekotoxi- col. Environ Safety 1991; 21:80-91,
- Eyer F, Felgenhawer N, Jetzinger E, PfabR, Zilker TR. Acute endosiilfan poisoning with cerebral edema and cardiac failure. J. Toxicol Clin Toxicol 2004; 42(6):927-32
- Dewan A, Bhatnagar UK, Mathur ML, Chakma T, Kashyap R, Sadhu HG, Sinha SN, saiyed HN. Repeated episodes of endosiilfan poisoning. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2004; 42(4):363-9
- Darren M. Roberts, Wasantha Dissanayake, M.H. Rezvi Sheriff, Michael Eddleston, refrectory status epilepticus following self-poisoning with the orga- nochlorine pesticide endosiilfan. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 2004; ll(7):760-762.
- Oktay C, Goksu E, Bozdemir N, Soyuncu S. Unintentional toxicity due to endosulfan: a case report of two patients and characteristics of endosiilfan toxicity. Vet Hum Toxicol 2003; 45(6):318-20
- Kutluhan S, Akhan G, Giiltekin F, Kurdoğlu E. Three cases of recurrent epileptic seizures caused by endosiilfan. Neurol India 2003; 51:102-103
- Venkateswarlu K, Suryanao K, Srinivas V, Sivapra- kash N, Jagannadharao NR, Mythilai A. Endosulfan poisoning-a clinical profile. J Assoc. Physicians India. 2000; 48(3):323-5.