Disk Battery Ingestion A Malpractice Case that Results in Pneumonia
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 21 No. 3 (2016)
Alkaline batteries have become the second most swallowed foreign bodies following coins. Most cases have an uncomplicated course, but some may lead to serious complications and even death.
Here we report a 28 months old boy who had experienced discomfort, eating refusal, vomiting and slightly wheezing after falling from a sofa bed. He has been in three different county hospitals and two private hospitals due to complaints, has been examined by two pediatricians and a cranial surgeon. A cranial CT imaging, a cranial X-ray radiograph and a chest X-ray radiograph was obtained. Firstly, diagnosed as head and neck trauma, then diagnosed as acute bronchiolitis, and finally pneumonia. Hospitalized twice. Finally, a chest radiograph revealed a button battery in the esophagus. The foreign body was endoscopic removed. The child had a quick clinical impairment after removal of the battery.
As a result, alkaline batteries with their increasing risk of engulfment poses very serious problems. The parents and physicians should be informed against increasing frequency of ingestion of alkaline batteries by infants and children. Also, clinicians should be careful about the risk of these batteries that they can cause pneumonia and infiltration which may make it difficult to detect the foreign body.
- Litovitz T, Schmitz BF. Ingestion of cylindrical and button batteries: an analysis of 2382 cases. Pediatrics. 1992; 89: 747-57.
- Thompson N, Lowe-Ponsford F, Mant TG, Volans GN. Button battery ingestion: a review. Adverse Drug React Acute Poisoning Rev 1990; 9: 157-80.
- Sheikh A. Button battery ingestions in children. Pediatr Emerg. Care 1993; 9: 224-9.
- Arana A, Hauser B, Hachimi-Idrissi S, Vandenplas Y. Management of ingested foreign bodies in childhood and review of the literature. Eur J Pediatr 2001; 160: 468-72.
- Suita S, Ohgami H, Nagasaki A, Yakabe S. Management of pediatric patients who have swallowed foreign objects. Am Surg 1989; 55: 585-90.
- Yamashlta M, Saito S, Koyama K, Hattori H, Ogata T. Esophageal electrochemical burn by button-type alkaline batteries in dogs. Vet Hum Toxicol 1987; 29: 226-30.
- Tanaka J, Yamashita M, Yamashita M, Kajigaya H. Esophageal electrochemical burns due to button type lithium batteries in dogs. Vet Hum Toxicol 1998; 40: 193-6.
- Topçu S, Çetin G. Özofagusun yabancı cisimleri. In: Yüksel M, Başoğlu A, editörler. Özofagus hastalıklarının tıbbi ve cerrahi tedavisi. İstanbul: Bilmedya Grup; 2002. s. 71-6.
- Litovitz TL. Button battery ingestions. A review of 56 cases. JAMA 1983; 249: 2495-2500.
- Votteler TP, Nash JC, Rutledge JC. The hazard of ingested alkaline disk batteries in children. JAMA 1983; 249: 2504-06.
- Blatnik DS, Toohill RJ, Lehman RH. Fatal complication from an alkaline battery foreign body in the esophagus. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1977; 86: 611-5.
- Shabino CL, Feinberg AN. Esophageal perforation secondary to alkaline battery ingestion. JACEP 1979; 8: 360-3.
- Litovitz TL. Battery ingestions: product accessibility and clinical course. Pediatrics 1985; 75: 469-76.
- Kost KM, Shapiro RS. Button battery ingestion: a case report and review of the literature. J Otolaryngol 1987; 16: 252-7.
- LaFrance DR, Traylor JG Jr, Jin L. Aspiration pneumonia and esophagotracheal fistula secondary to button battery ingestion. Forensic Sci Med Pathol. 2011; 7: 283-286. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12024-010-9214-5.
- Van Asperen PP, Seeto I, Cass DT. Acquired tracheo-oesophageal fistula after ingestion of a mercury button-battery. Med J Aust 1986; 145: 412-5.