The Sociodemographic Characteristics of Incest Cases in the Evaluation of Bulent Ecevit University Hospital
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 21 No. 3 (2016)
Objective: Incest is defined as sexual activity between people with close blood ties including family members and kinship who are prohibited by law. There are few studies in Turkey about incest which is a kind of child sexual abuse. In order to understand the characteristics of incest in Zonguldak, cases who are sent to BEU (Bulent Ecevit University) Hospital of Medical Faculty by courts or prosecution offices were evaluated as socio-demographic.
Materials and Methods: The cases were sent to the polyclinic of Forensic Medicine of the Hospital in order to be given reports between July 2010 and June 2014. The cases were investigated retrospectively with regards to age, gender, education level, abuse type, the level of intelligence, the findings of psychiatric examinations and the degree of kinship with attacker.
Results: The cases among 3-38 years of ages consist of a total of 39 cases, 38 female and 1 male. When patients are examined in terms of education, 10 of them under 7 years did not start school due to their smallness ages. Despite older ages of 2 persons they were not sent to any school at all. After primary school, 6 cases did not continue any school.
Conclusion: Incest which is concerned by all the community regarding health, education, social, economic and political aspect and needed a multidisciplinary approach for the solution. Cases of incest can be minimized or can be eliminated by taking precautions within a plan in where regional and all over the country to be pre- pared for short, medium and long term.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Kellogg N. The Evaluation of Sexual Abuse in Children. Pediatrics, 2005;116:506–12. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-1336
- Nurcombe B. Child Sexual Abuse I: Psychopathology. J Psychiatry, 2000;34:85–91.
- Johnson CF. Abuse and Neglect of Children. Nelson textbook of pediatrics, 18th ed. 2008;178–82.
- WHO – World Health Organization. Guidelines for Medico-legal Care for Victims of Sexual Violence, Geneva; http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2004/924154628X.pdf erişim tarihi 12.06.2016
- Bozbeyoğlu AÇ, Koyuncu E, Kardam F, Sungur A. Ailenin Karanlık Yüzü: Türkiye’de Ensest. Sosyoloji Araştırmaları Dergisi 2010;13(1):1-37.
- Yıldırım A, Ozer E, Bozkurt H, Ozsoy S, Enginyurt O, Evcuman D, Yilmaz R, Kuyucu YE. Evaluation of Social and Demographic Characteristics of Incest Cases in a University Hospital in Turkey. Medical Science Monitor: International Medical Journal of Experimental and Clinical Research, 2014;20:693-7. https://doi.org/10.12659/MSM.890361
- Sariola H, Uutela A: The Prevalence and Context of Incest Abuse in Finland. Child Abuse Negl, 1996;20:843–50.
- Fiş NP, Arman A, Kalaça S, Berkem M. Psychiatric Evaluation of Sexual Abuse Cases: A Clinical Representative Sample From Turkey. Child Youth Serv Rev 2010;32:1285-90.
- Gidycz CA, Coble CN, Latham L, Layman MJ. Sexual Assault Experience in Adulthood and Prior Victimization Experience: A Prospective Analysis. Psychol Women Quartely 1993;17:151-68.
- Gölge ZB. Cinsel Travma Sonrası Oluşan Ruhsal Sorunlar. Nöropsikiyatri Arşivi 2005;42:19-28.
- Vural P, Uçar HN, Eray Ş, Çolpan M. Kocael Ö. Uludağ Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Hastanesi Çocuk Psikiyatrisi Polikliniğine Yönlendirilen Adli Olguların Sosyodemografik ve Klinik Özelliklerinin Değerlendirilmesi. Uludağ Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 2013;39 (1):49-53.
- Putnam FW. Ten-Year Research Update Review: Child Sexual Abuse. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003;42:269-78. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-200303000-00006
- Herman J, Hirschman L. Families at Risk for Father-Daughter Incest. Am J Psychiatry 1981;138:967-70. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.138.7.967
- Goldman RJ, Goldman JDG. The Prevalence and Nature of Child Sexual Abuse in Australia. Australian Journal of Sex, Marriage and Family1988;9:94-106. Published online: 18 Dec 2014.
- Canavan MM, Meyer WJ, Higgs DC. The Female Experience of Sibling Incest. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy 1992;18:129-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.1992.tb00924.x
- Stroebel SS, O’Keefe SL, Beard KW, Kuo SY, Swindell SV, Kommor MJ. Father-Daughter Incest: Data From an Anonymous Computerized Survey. J Child Sex Abus 2012;21:176–99. https://doi.org/10.1080/10538712.2012.654007
- Dadds M, Smith M, Webber Y, Robinson A. An Exploration of Family and Individual Profiles Following Father-Daughter Incest. Child Abuse Negl, 1991;15:575–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(91)90041-B
- Edgardh K, Ormstad K. Prevalence and Characteristics of Sexual Abuse in a National Sample of Swedish 17-Year-Oldgirls. Acta Pediatrica 2000;89:310-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2000.tb01333.x
- Pelcovitz D, Kaplan S, Goldenberg B, Mandel F, Lehane J, Guarrera J. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Physically Abused Adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1994;33:305–12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199403000-00002
- Cyr M, Wright J, McDuff P, Perron A. Intrafamilial Sexual Abuse: Brother-Sister Incest Does Not Differ from Father-Daughter and Stepfather-Stepdaughter Incest. Child Abuse Negl, 2002;26:957–73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(02)00365-4
- Gunduz T, Karbeyaz K, Ayranci U. Evaluation of the Adjudicated Incest Cases in Turkey: Difficulties in Notification of Incestuous Relationships. J Forensic Sci, 2011;56:438–43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2010.01662.x
- Schatzow E, Herman JL. Breaking Secrecy. Adult Survivors’ Disclosure to Their Families. Psychiatr Clin North Am 1989;12:337–49.
- Topcu S. Incest in Sexual Abuse. Ankara; Phoenix Publisher, 2009.
- Özturk M, Güzelhan Y, Ortakoylu L. Ensest Öykusu Olan Adli Olguların İncelenmesi. Yeni Sempozyum 2000;38(1):15–8.
- Alikasifoglu M, Erginoz E, Ercan O, Albayrak-Kaymak D, Uysal O, Ilter O. Sexual Abuse Among Female High School Students in Istanbul, Turkey. Child Abuse Negl 2006;30:247–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2005.10.012
- Finkel KC. Sexual Abuse and Incest. What can you do? Can Fam Physician 1994;40:935–44.
- Middleton W. Parent-Child Incest that Extends into Adulthood: A Survey of International Press Reports, 2007-2011. J Trauma Dissociation 2013;14:184–97. https://doi.org/10.1080/15299732.2013.724341
- Ertur E, Yaycı N. Erkek Mağdur Açısından Ensest. Adli Tıp Dergisi 2011;25(1):199-214.