The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
Investigation of Nasal Bone Fractures in the Framework of the Turkish Penal Code
Corresponding Author : Hüseyin Kafadar
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 18 No. 1 (2013)
Nasal bone fractures (lineer, deplase or distal thinner portion) is delineated in the new Turkish Penal Code (Article 87, Section 3). In the current study, we investigated the reports of injury case with nasal bone fracture and available problems in foresic medicine.
Of the 2896 forensic reports of our regional Center, The Council of Forensic Medicine, 178 cases with nasal bone fractures were determined between 1 June and 31 December 2012. The cases were invetigated about age, gender, origine, type of nasal bone fracture and effect on life function.
There are 178 cases in our study. Of the cases, 13,48%(24 cases) were females and 86,51% (154 cases) males, a mean age of 34 ±7. was found. Of the cases, 73.03 % (130 cases) were assault, 13.48% (24 cases) traffic accident, 10.11% (18 ceses) fall from and 3.37%(6 cases) were stab injury. Of the cases, 42.69% (76 cases) were lineer fracture, 37,07%(66 cases) were deplase fracture, 15,73%(28 cases) were fragmeted and 3,37% (6 cases) were distal thinner portion fracture.
Becauseofalltraumaticnasalinjuries areconsidered judicial cases that whith the goal of determination types of nasal bone fracture, x-Ray wiew and computerized tomography should investigate. We have considered that if it is clearly writen type of nasal bone fracture in foresic reports, recurrent correspondence would not have and judiciary process would not extend.
Key words: Forensic medicine, nasal fracture, trauma.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Polat O,İnanıcı MA, Aksoy ME. Adli Tıp Ders Kitabı, Nobel Tıp Kitabevleri. 1997;106-8.
- Karasu M, Baransel Isır A, Aydın A, Dülger E. Gaziantep Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Adli Tıpanabilim Dalınca 1998-2005 Yılları Arasında Düzenlenen Adli Raporların Değerlendirilmesi. Gaziantep Tıp Dergisi 2009; 15(1): 10-15.
- Mathog Robert H, Arden Richard L, Marks Steven C. Burun ve Paranasal Sinüs Travmaları, Nobel Tıp Kitabevleri Ltd; 1995. p.21-37.
- Holt GR. Biomechanics of nasal septal trauma. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 1999;32:615-9.
- Kishibe K, Saitou S, Harabuchi Y. Significance of ultrasonography for nasal fracture. Nippon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 2005;108:8-14.
- Karagama YG, Newton JR, Clayton MG. Are nasal fractures being referred appropriately from the accident and emergency department to ENT Injury 2004;35:968-71.
- Mondin V, Rinaldo A, Ferlito A. Management of nasal bone fractures. Am J Otolaryngol 2005;26:181-5.
- Yabe T, Ozawa T, Sakamoto M, Ishii M. Pre- and postoperative X-ray and computed tomography evaluation in acute nasal fracture. Ann Plast Surg 2004;53:547-53.
- Toygar M, Şenol E, Can Ö. Burun Kemik Kırıklarının Adli Tıp Açısından Degerlendirilmesi. Turkiye Klinikleri J of Foren Med 2007, 4: 17-22.
- Karbeyaz K., Gündüz T., Balcı Y.,Yeni Türk Ceza Kanunu çerçevesinde kemik kırıklarına adli tıbbi yaklaşım. Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 2010;16 (5):453-458.
- Balcı Y, Güzel S, Çetin G. Yeni Türk Ceza Kanunu’nda tanımlanan yaralama suçlarının adli tıp açısından değerlendirilmesi. In: Balcı Y, editör. Herkes için adli tıp cep kitabı. Eskişehir Eskişehir: Osmangazi Üniversitesi Yayınları; 2008. s. 203-35.
- Hwang K, You SH, Kim SG, Lee SI. Analysis of nasal bone fractures; A six-year study of 503 patients. J Craniofac Surg 2006;17:261-4.