Evaluation of Forensic Postmortem Examination Training on the Model in Context of Structured Scenario
Introduction: Forensic postmortem examination is an issue that physicians have difficulties and have legal problems. It would be appropriate to add applications that are more memorable and appealing to the students for forensic postmortem examination education in medical faculties. This study was conducted in order to measure the results of the "forensic postmortem examination education on the model in the context of a structured scenario", which may be a good model for the application of interactive methods, at the Faculty of Medicine of Pamukkale University.
Material and Methods: Eighty-eight 5th term students who were in forensic medicine training and 52 6th term students who were in public health training participated in the study. The knowledge and skill levels before and after the training and the opinions and recommendations about the education were evaluated and compared with standard forms.
Results: When pre-test and post-test answers are evaluated; the positive difference between the pre-test and post-test answers of all the students was statistically significant in which the level of knowledge was assessed, except for the first question’s answer in 5th term students. When the forms of opinions and recommendations are examined; it was understood that the vast majority of the students had confidence in themselves in the practice of postmortem examination and the decision of the autopsy which they would encounter in the future, all students who gave written feedback reported that the education was fruitful and useful and that they were pleased with this education.
Conclusion: Our practice has been a successful practice in acquiring the skills of forensic postmortem examination which is in the pre-graduate medical education core curriculum. This practice can also set an example for other medical schools in the teaching of forensic postmortem examination.
2. Tümer AR, Keten A, Karacaoğlu E. Adli olgu bildirimi ve adli raporlar, Hacettepe Tıp Dergisi 2010; 41:128-134.
3. Balcı Y. Adli tıp hizmet modeli ve insan gücü planlaması, 2007, Adana, http://www.atud.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/hizmet_modeli.pdf, (ATUD web sitesi), Erişim tarihi: 20.09.2017.
4. Turla A, Dündar C. Samsun il merkezinde adli rapor düzenleyen pratisyen hekimlerin adli tıp eğitimi ve adli raporlara yansımaları, OMÜ Tıp Dergisi 2003; 20(3): 119-124.
5. Kumral B, Ozdes T. Assessment of physicians' approaches to the applications of forensic medicine in Tekirdag province. J. For. Med. 2014;28(2):141-53. doi:10.5505/adlitip.2014.76376.
6. Ulusal Tıp Eğitimi Akreditasyon Kurulu. Mezuniyet Öncesi Tıp Eğitimi Ulusal Standartları, http://www.uteak.org.tr/uploads/belge/MOTE_STANDARTLAR_2014.pdf, (UTEAK web sitesi), Erişim tarihi 15.09.2017.
7. Özdemir MH, Demiroğlu Z, Ergönen AT, Salaçin S. Mezuniyet öncesi tıp eğitiminde bilgisayar destekli adli ölü muayenesi uygulaması: bir model çalışma. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2008;13(3):106-112 doi: 10.17986/blm.2008133678.
8. Brown RS, Graham CL, Richeson N, Wu J, McDermott S. Evaluation of medical student performance on objective structured clinical exams with standardized patients with and without disabilities. Acad Med. 2010;85(11):1766-71 doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3181f849dc.
9. Çolak B, Etiler N, Biçer Ü. Adli tıp hizmetleri kim tarafından sunulmaktadır/ sunulmalıdır? Sağlık bakanlığı mı? Adalet bakanlığı mı? Toplum ve Hekim 2004; 19: 134-138.
10. Arslan MN, Abalı F, Özbek BY, Üzün İ. Defin ruhsatı düzenlemede adli boyut: Bir feth-i kabir otopsi olgusu. Türk Aile Hek. Derg. 2015; 19 (2): 114-11.
11. Salaçin S, Çekin N, Özdemir MH, Ş. Kalkan. Mezuniyet öncesi adli tıp eğitimi almış öğrencilere yönelik bir anket çalışması. Adli Tıp Bülteni 1997; 2(1):21 -4 doi: 10.17986/blm.199721199.
12. Durak Hİ. Mezuniyet öncesi tıp eğitiminde mesleksel beceri eğitimi ve EÜTF'de 1997-1999 yılları arasında birinci sınıf öğrencilerine verilen modüler beceri eğitiminin öğrenciler tarafından değerlendirilmesi (Doktora Tezi). Ege Üniversitesi; 2000.
13. Schmeling A, Kellinghaus M. A web-based e-learning programme for training external post-mortem examination in curricular medical education. Int J Legal Med 2011; 125:857-861 doi: 10.1007/s00414-011-0613-2.
Copyright (c) 2018 Volkan Zeybek, Kemalettin Acar, Ayşe Kurtuluş Dereli, Cüneyt Orhan Kara
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine is an open access scientific journal. Open access means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition of open access.
The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine requires the author as the rights holder to sign and submit the journal's agreement form prior to acceptance. The authors retain copyright of their work and grant the Association for its publication. This ensures both that The Journal has the right to publish the article and that the author has confirmed various things including that it is their original work and that it is based on valid research.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
*Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.