Assessment of Sociodemographic Data, Self Mutilation, Suicide Attempt and Psychiatric Disorders in Children and Adolescents who Abused Sexually
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 21 No. 3 (2016)
Objective: It is now generally known that undergoing a sexual abuse may lead to self-destruction, suicide, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression and dissociative disorders. Our study aims at determining the rate of self-destruction and suicide among children who had experienced sexual abuse and determining the rates of depression, PTSD and dissociative disorders and their relationships each other.
Materials and Methods: The children aged 0-18 who had undergone sexual abuse and sent to Prevention of Child Abuse, Application and Research Center at Erciyes University between 01.01.2011-31.12.2011 to have a judicial report were analyzed retrospectively with regard to their age, sex, frequency of abuse, psychiatric diagnosis according to DSM IV-TR and leaving home or suicide behaviors. The children were made to complete Depression Scale for Children (CDI), Child Post-Traumatic Stress Reaction Index (RPTS-CS) and Dissociation Questionnaire (DIS-Q).
Results: 556 cases were included in our research. There was suicide attempt in 24(4,3%) of them, 15 (2,7%) had the behavior of self-mutilation, 6 (1,1%) of them had the idea to commit suicide. In the scales, RPTS-CS was found significant for 33 (5,6%) cases. The score of the DIS-Q was found significant for 8 (1,6%) cases (>2,5). The mean score of the CDI was found significant for 42 (7,3%) cases (>19).
Conclusion: It is not only important to follow up closely the children who had experienced sexual abuse and to protect their mental health, but also it is very important to keep them away from being a victim again and prevent to commit suicide and self-mutilation behaviors.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- sayılı Türk Ceza Kanunu [İnternet]. 2004 Eylül [alıntı 2016 Mayıs 30]. Mevcut adres: http://www.mevzuat.gov.tr/ MevzuatMetin/ 1.5.5237.pdf.
- Putnam FW. Ten-year research update review: Child sexual abuse. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003; 42(3): 269-78. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583 200303000-00006.
- Stoltenborgh M, Van IJzendoorn MH, Euser EM, Bakermans-Kranenburg MJ. A global perspective on child sexual abuse: Meta-analysis of prevalence around the world. Child Maltreat. 2011; 16: 79–101. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559511403920.
- Barth J, Bermetz L, Heim E, Trelle S, Tonia T. The current prevalence of child sexual abuse worldwide: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Public Health. 2013; 58(3): 469-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-012-0426-1.
- Pereda N, Guilera G, Forns M, Gomez-Benito J. The international epidemiology of child sexual abuse: a continuation of Finkelhor. Child Abuse Negl. 2009; 33: 331-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2008.07.007.
- Sedlak A, Mettenburg J, Basena M, Petta I, McPherson K, Green A et al. Fourth national incidence study of child abuse and neglect (NIS-4): Report to Congress. Washington D.C: US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families; 2010. Report No.: HHSP233200400058U, Contract no.: GS23F81144H.
- Gilbert R, Spatz CW, Browne K, Fergusson D, Webb E, Janson S et al. Burden and consequences of child maltreatment in high-income countries. Lancet. 2009; 373(9657): 61–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61706-7.
- Goldman JDG, Padayachi UK. Some methodological problems in estimating incidence and prevalence in child sexual abuse research. J Sex Res. 2000; 37(4): 305–14. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224490009552052.
- İșeri E. Cinsel istismar. In: Çetin FÇ, Pehlivantürk B, Ünal F, Uslu R, İșeri E, Türkbay T, Coșkun A, Miral S, Motavallı N (eds). Çocuk ve Ergen Psikiyatrisi Temel Kitabı. 1.Baskı, Ankara, Hekimler Yayın Birliği, 2008: 470-477.
- Duncan AE, Sartor CE, Schrerrer JF, Grant JD, Heath AC, Nelson EC et al. The association between cannabis abuse and dependence and childhood physical and sexual abuse: evidence from an offspring of twins design. Addiction. 2008; 103(6): 990-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02210.x.
- Paolucci EO, Genius ML, Violata C. A meta-analysis of the published research on the effects of child sexual abuse. Journal Psychology 2001; 135: 17–36. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980109603677.
- Caspi A, Vishne T, Sasson Y, Gross R, Livne A, Zohar J. Relationship between childhood sexual abuse and obsessive-compulsive disorder: case control study. The Israel Journal of Psychiatry and Related Sciences. 2008; 45: 177–82.
- Lee S, Lyvers M, Edwards MS. Childhood sexual abuse and substance abuse in relation to depression and coping. J Subst Abuse. 2008; 13: 349–60. https://doi.org/10.1080/14659890802211077.
- Afifi T. The relationship between child maltreatment and Axis I mental disorders: A summary of the published literature from 2006 to 2010. Open Journal of Psychiatry. 2012; 2: 21–32. https://doi.org/10.4236/ojpsych.2012.21004.
- Kovacs M. Rating scales to assess depression in schoolage children. Acta Paedopsychatr. 1980; 46: 305-15.
- Öy B. Çocukluk Depresyonu Derecelendirme Ölçeği: Sağlıklı ve Çocuk Ruh Sağlığı Kliniğine Başvuran çocuklarda uygulanması. Türk Psikiyatri Dergisi. 1991; 2: 137-40.
- Vanderlinden J, Van Dyck R, Vandereycken W, Vertommen H, Verkes RJ. The Dissociation Questionnaire (DIS-Q). Development and characteristics of a new self-reporting questionnaire. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy. 1993; 1: 21-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cpp.5640010105.
- Şar V, Kızıltan E, Kundakçı T. Dissosiyasyon ölçeği’nin (DIS-Q) geçerlik ve güvenilirliği. 33. Ulusal Psikiyatri Kongresi Bildiri Kitabı; 1997; Antalya, Türkiye: 43-53.
- Pynoos RS, Frederick C, Nader K, Arroyo W, Steinberg A, Eth S et al. Life threat and posttraumatic stres in school age children. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1987; 44: 1057-63. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1987.01800240031005.
- Pynoos RS, Goenlian A, Tashjian M, Karakashian M, Manijikian R, Manoukian G et al. Posttraumatic stress reactions in children after the 1988 Armenian Earthquake. Br J Psychiatry. 1993; 163: 239- 47. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.163.2.239.
- Erden G, Kılıç EZ, Uslu RI, Kerimoğlu E. Çocuklar için travma sonrası stres tepki ölçeği: Türkçe geçerlik, güvenirlik çalışması. Çocuk ve Gençlik Ruh Sağlığı Dergisi. 1999; 6(3):143-49.
- Soylu N, Pilan BŞ, Ayaz M, Sönmez S. Cinsel istismar mağduru çocuk ve ergenlerderuh sağlığını etkileyen etkenlerin araştırılması. Anadolu Psikiyatr Derg. 2012; 13:292-98
- Öztop DB, Özcan ÖÖ. Cinsel istismar Vak’alarının Sosyodemografik ve Klinik Özelliklerinin Değerlendirilmesi. New Symposium/Yeni Sempozyum. 2010; 48(4): 270-76.
- Finkelhor D. The international epidemiology of child sexual abuse. Child Abuse Negl. 1994; 18: 409–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(94)90026-4.
- Santos JC, Neves A, Rodrigues M, Ferrao P. Victims of sexual offences: medicolegal examinations in emergency settings. J Clin Forensic Med. 2006; 13: 300-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcfm.2006.06.003
- İmren SG, Ayaz AB, Yusufoğlu C, Arman AR. Cinsel istismara uğrayan çocuk ve ergenlerde klinik özellikler ve intihar girişimi ile ilişkili risk etmenleri. Marmara Medical Journal. 2013; 26: 11-6.
- Erdoğan A, Tufan E, Karaman MG, Atabak MS, Koparan C, Özdenir E ve ark. Türkiye’nin dört farklı bölgesinde çocuk ve ergenlere cinsel tacizde bulunan kişilerin karakteristik özellikleri. Anadolu Psikiyatr Derg. 2011; 12: 55-61.
- Acharya PN, Gill DS. The physical signs of child sexual abuse—an evidence-based review and guidance for best practice. British Dental Journal. 2008; 205: 55. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.2008.579
- World Health Organization Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Global Status Report on Alcohol, Geneva, 2004.
- Renteria SC. Summary: sexual abuse of female children and adolescents-detection, examination and primary-care. Ther Umsch. 2005; 62: 230-7. https://doi.org/10.1024/0040-59184.108.40.206.
- Zoroğlu SS, Tüzün Ü, Şar V, Öztürk M, Kora ME, Alyanak B. Çocukluk dönemi istismar ve ihmalinin olası sonuçları. Anadolu Psikiyatr Derg. 2001; 2(2): 69-78.