This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Covid-19 Infection, Postmortem Process and Burial Procedures
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 25 No. -Sp (2020): Covid-19 Special Issue
With the outbreak of COVID-19 infection in China in December 2019, the virus started a rapidly spreading pandemia around the world, causing serious health problems and deaths. As of the beginning of March 2020, it has been reported to be seen in over a hundred countries across the world. In our country, the first COVID-19 case was detected at the beginning of March, and the number of death cases has exceeded one thousand to date.
In this process, forensic medicine specialists and workers face serious risk of transmission in a possible COVID-19 death. This study is a compilation of the definition and epidemiology of the virus causing Covid-19 disease, how to diagnose of postmortem, postmortem examination and possible risks associated with such a case in the autopsy room and how to reduce these risks. In addition, suggestions regarding burials procedureswere also presented in case of suspicion of Covid-19 infection.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Zhejiang Uni Medical Faculty. Handbook of COVID-19 Prevention and Treatment. Ed: Tingbo LIANG. 20.03.2020. Erişim tarihi: 08.04.2020 https://www.iau-aiu.net/Zhejiang-University-Handbook-of-COVID-19-Prevention-and-Treatment
- Hanley B, Lucas SB, Youd E, Swift B, Osborn M. Autopsy in suspected COVID-19 cases. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2020 Mar 20. https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2020-206522
- Fınegan O, Fonseca S, Pierre Gh, Mendez Md, Gonzalez Jr, Tıdball-Bınz M, Wınter Ka, on the Management IA. International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC): General Guidance for the Management of the Dead Related to COVID-19. Forensic Sci Int: Synergy. 2020 Mar 31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fsisyn.2020.03.007.
- Osborn M, Lucas S, Stewart R, Swift B, Youd E. Briefing on COVID-19. Autopsy practice relating to possible cases of COVID-19 (2019-nCov, novel coronavirus from China 2019/2020). The Royal College of Pathologists. 2019. Erişim tarihi:9.08.2020. https://www.rcpath.org/uploads/assets/d5e28baf-5789-4b0f-acecfe370eee6223/fe8fa85a-f004-4a0c-81ee4b2b9cd12cbf/Briefing-on-COVID-19-autopsy-Feb-2020.pdf.
- COVID-19 Pandemisi’nde Meslek Hastalığı Tanı Kılavuzu. İş ve Meslek Hastalıkları Uzmanları Derneği ve Halk Sağlığı Uzmanları Derneği. 22.03.2020. Erişim tarihi: 08.04.2020.https://korona.hasuder.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/Mesleksel-COVID_19_Tan%C4%B1_Rehberi_2020.pdf.
- Covid-19 ve Ruh Sağlığı. Türkiye Psikiyatri Derneği. Erişim tarihi:08.04.2020. https://www.psikiyatri.org.tr/menu/161/cov%C4%B1d-19-ve-ruh-sagligi
- Adli Tıp Kurumu Morg İhtisas Dairesi Covıd-19 Otopsi Talimatı.https://www.atud.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ATK-Morg-%C4%B0htisas-Dairesi-Covid-19-Otopsi-Talimat%C4%B1.pdf
- Adli Tıp Uzmanları Derneği, Postmortem Adli Tıp Uygulamalarında Görev Alanlar İçin Covıd-19 Bilgilendirme Rehberi. Nisan 2020.https://www.atud.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ATUD-Postmortem-Covid-19-Rehber.pdf
- T.C. Sağlık Bakanlığı Halk Sağlığı Genel Müdürlüğü (2020). Covıd-19 (Sarscov2 Enfeksiyonu) Rehberi (Bilim Kurulu Çalışması). Güncelleme:02.04.2020. Erişim tarihi:10.04.2020: https://covid19bilgi.saglik.gov.tr/depo/rehberler/COVID-19_Rehberi.pdf.
- He F, Deng Y, Li W. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID‐19): What we know?. J Medical Virology. 2020 Mar 14. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.25766.
- Fineschi V, Aprile A, Aquila I, Arcangeli M, et al. Management of the corpse with suspect, probable or confirmed COVID-19 respiratory infection–Italian interim recommendations for personnel potentially exposed to material from corpses, including body fluids, in morgue structures, during autopsy practice. Pathologıca Epub 2020 Mar 26 https://doi.org/10.32074/1591-951X-13-20.
- Yeo C, Kaushal S, Yeo D. Enteric involvement of coronaviruses: is faecal–oral transmission of SARS-CoV-2 possible?. The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2020 Apr 1;5(4):335-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-1253(20)30048-0.
- Health and Safety Executive Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens. The Approved list of biological agents. secondary the Approved list of biological agents. Erişim tarihi:08.04.2020:www. hse. gov. uk/ pubns/ misc208. Pdf.
- Huang C, Wang Y, Li X, et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020;395:497–506. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30183-5.
- Wang D, Hu B, Hu C, et al. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA. 2020;323(11):1061-1069. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.1585
- World Health Organization. Laboratory testing for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in suspected human cases: interim guidance, 2 March 2020. World Health Organization; 2020.
- Adhikari SP, Meng S, Wu YJ, Mao YP, Ye RX, Wang QZ, Sun C, Sylvia S, Rozelle S, Raat H, Zhou H. Epidemiology, causes, clinical manifestation and diagnosis, prevention and control of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) during the early outbreak period: a scoping review. Infectious diseases of poverty. 2020 Dec;9(1):1-2.https://doi.org/10.1186/s40249-020-00646-x.
- Henwood AF. Coronavirus disinfection in histopathology. J Histotechnol 2020;16:1–3.https://doi.org/10.1080/01478885.2020.1734718
- Tian S, Hu W, Niu L, et al. Pulmonary pathology of early phase 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pneumonia in two patients with lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2020:S15560864(20)30132-5.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtho.2020.02.010
- Xu Z, Shi L, Wang Y, Zhang J, Huang L, Zhang C, Liu S, Zhao P, Liu H, Zhu L, Tai Y. Pathological findings of COVID-19 associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome. The Lancet respiratory medicine. 2020 Apr 1;8(4):420-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30076-X.
- Wang W, Xu Y, Gao R, Lu R, Han K, Wu G, Tan W. Detection of SARS-CoV-2 in different types of clinical specimens. JAMA. March 11, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.3786.
- Ai T, Yang Z, Hou H, Zhan C, Chen C, Lv W, Tao Q, Sun Z, Xia L. Correlation of chest CT and RT-PCR testing in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: a report of 1014 cases. Radiology. 2020 Feb 26:200642.https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2020200642