Evaluation of All Sexual Abuse Cases and the Child Abuse and Mental Retardation in the Sexual Abuse Cases That Have Been Reflected to Gaziantep University Medicine Faculty Forensic Medicine Department
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 14 No. 1 (2009)
In sexual abuse several factors are present, we have aimed to take an attention the density and distribution of adult-child and mental retarded sexual abuse victims in this study. 205 sexual abuse cases which have applied to our department between January 2000 and March 2008 have been evaluated by being taken into study scope. 78 of the cases (38%) were male and 127 were female (62%). 103 of the cases were children (50.2%). Youngest of the children were 5 years old and oldest was 18 years old, with the average age of the children calculated as 14.03 + 3.56. 48 of the children cases were male (46.6%) and 55 were female (53.4%). In 42 children (40.8%) post - traumatic stress disorder was detected. The accused of 98 children (95.1%) were strangers. 24 children (23.3 %) who have come to education were illiterate. At 26 of the cases (25.2%), physical violence and compulsion traces were also seen, thus they were concluded to have been exposed to physical abuse as well as sexual abuse. 16 of the children cases (15.5%) were detected to have slight mental retardation. Average age of the mentally retarded children, of which 7 were male (43.8%) and 9 were female (56.2%), was calculated as 16.25+2.543 and the youngest of these was detected as 11 and the oldest was detected as 18 years old. Only at 1 of the mentally retarded children post-traumatic stress disorder was detected. At 6 of the mentally retarded children (37.5 %) physical abuse was detected. All of the mentally retarded children were detected to have been abused by strangers. In sexual abuse several factors are present, among abused children, mentally retarded child cases take an important part and against sexual attacks these cases are more indefensible. In conclusion, the importance and necessity of selective and specific educational programs towards these cases are mentioned as well as medical and social support to them.
Key words: Sexual abuse, physical abuse, child, mental retardation
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Dirlik M, Özkök MS, Katkıcı U, Erel Ö. Aydın’da cinsel suç ve suçluların profili. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2002;7(3):97-103.
- İzmirli M. Çocuğa karşı dayak olgusu ve çocuk istismarı. Çocuk Forumu Dergisi 1998;1(3):11-14.
- Ahlgrim-Delzell L, Dudley JR. Confirmed, unconfirmed, and false allegations of abuse made by adults with mental retardation who are members of a class action lawsuit. Child Abuse Negl 2001;25(8):1121- 32.
- Livingston R. Sexually and physically abused children. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1987;26:413-415.
- Pelcovitz D, Kaplan S, Goldenberg B, et al. Post-traumatic stress disorder in physically abused adolescents. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1994;33:305-312.
- Weiss EL, Longhurst JG, Mazure CM. Childhood sexual abuse as a risk factor for depression in women: psychosocial and neurobiological correlates. Am J Psychiatry 1999;156:816-828.
- Werner J, Werner MC. Child sexual abuse in clinical and forensic psychiatry: a review of recent literature. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2008;21(5):499-504.
- Polat O. Fiziksel istismarda hekim yaklaşımı ne olmalıdır? Çocuk Forumu Dergisi 1998;1(3):1-10.
- Sözen M.Ş. Çocuğa yönelik cinsel istismar olgu sunumu. Çocuk Forumu Dergisi 1999;2(1): 12-15.
- Barutçu N, Yavuz MF, Çetin G. Cinsel saldırı sonrası mağdurun karşılaştığı sorunlar Adli Tıp Bülteni 1999;4(2):41-53.
- Polat O. Çocukta cinsel istismar. Çocuk Forumu Dergisi 1999;2(1):1-11.
- Celbiş O, Karaca M, Özdemir B, Baransel Isır A. Cinsel suçlarda muayene. Harran Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 2005;4:48-52.
- Green A. Child Sexual Abuse And Incest. In: Lewis m, Ed Child And Adolescent Psychiatry. Comprehensive Textbook. 2nd Ed. Baltimore, Ma: Williams & Wilkins, 1996; 1041-48.
- Elliot Aj, Peterson Lw. Maternal sexual abuse of male children. When to suspect and how to uncover it. Postgrad Med 1993;94:169-72.
- Gorey KM, Leslie DR. The prevalence of child sexual abuse: mtegrative review adjustment for potential response and measurement biases. Child Abuse Negl 1997;21:391-8.
- Yates A. Sexual Abuse of Children. In: Wiener Jm, Ed. Textbook of Child Adolescent Psychiatry. 2nd Ed. Washington: American Psychiatric Press, 1997; 699-709.
- Karakaya I, Coşkun A, Ağaoğlu B, et al. Cinsel istismara maruz kaldığı bildirilen olguların ruhsal değerlendirme sonuçları. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2006;11(2):53- 58.
- Soysal Z, Eke SM. Adli Tip. Ed: Soysal Z, Cakalir C.Istanbul Üniversitesi Cerrahpaşa Tip Fakültesi yayınları. İstanbul. 1999, Cilt 3 :1167-1244.
- Yıldız Y, Yavuz F, Akıncı FS, Gölge BZ. Aile içi şiddet olgularmda 4320 sayılı ailenin korunmasına dair kanunun uygulamaları. Adli Tıp Dergisi 2003;17(l):59-68.
- Kvam MH. Is sexual abuse of children with disabilities disclosed? a retrospective analysis of child disability and the likelihood of sexual abuse among those attending norwegian hospitals. Child Abuse Negl 2000;24(8) : 1073-84.