The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
Sociodemographic and Clinical Features of Children Dragged To Crime in Sivas Province
Corresponding Author : Seda Aybüke Sarı
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 24 No. 3 (2019)
Objective: In this study, it was aimed to investigate the sociodemographic characteristics, types of crime and intelligence levels of delinquent children and to determine the reasons that push these children into crime.
Materials and Methods: The data of 86 cases who were referred to Cumhuriyet University pediatric and adolescent mental health and diseases outpatient clinic for forensic report by the judicial authorities between 01.01.2017-01.06.2018 were analyzed retrospectively. Age, gender, socioeconomic status, educational level, intelligence level and psychological diagnoses of children according to DSM-5; also, the characteristics of the crime and the results of the forensic reports were evaluated.
Results: 90.6% of the cases were male. The mean age at the time of the crime was 13.76 ± 0.89. Most of them were children of low- and middle-level families with low socioeconomic status. 72% of the cases did not have any mental illness. Conduct Disorder (CD) was the most common mental disorder. The majority of cases (82.5%) had normal intelligence. The most frequently committed crime was “theft” (50%). 30.2% of the cases had a history of recurrent crime. Only 25.5% of these cases had the ability to perceive the legal meaning and results of the act and to direct their behavior.
Conclusion: Juvenile delinquency is an increasing problem in our country. For this reason, it is important to determine the risk factors that lead children to commit crimes and to take necessary measures in this regard.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Celal Bütün, Erdogan Polater, Fatma Yücel Beyaztaş, Two Death Cases Due to Motor Vehicle Heating System (Webasto) – Cases Report , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 24 No. 2 (2019)
- Ramazan İlhan, Bahadır Özen, Cemil Beder, Oğuzhan Öğüt, Celal Bütün, Sulhattin Arslan, Fatma Yücel Beyaztaş, Death due to Pulmonary Fat Embolism Case Report , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 19 No. 2 (2014)
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Fırat S, İltaş Y, Gülmen MK. Adana’da suça sürüklenen çocukların sosyodemografik özellikleri. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2016;21(2):86-92.
- Çocuk Hakları Sözleşmesi. T.C. Resmi Gazete, 27 Ocak 1995, sayı:22184.
- Turan Ġ. Suça sürüklenen çocuklar: Kocaeli örneği. 2012.
- Aksu H, Karakoç Demirkaya S, Gürbüz Özgür B, Gün B. Aydın ilinde bir yıldaki çocuk ve ergen adli olguların değerlendirilmesi. Anadolu Psikiyatr Derg 2013;14(4):369-377. doi:10.5455/apd.43501.
- Cantürk G. Çocuk Suçluluğunda Adli Psikiyatrik Değerlendirme. Sted, 2005; 14: 31-34.
- Baltacı A. Çocuk Suçluluğu. Ankara Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi. Ankara, 2011.
- Türk Ceza Kanunu T.C. Resmi Gazete, 26 Eylül 2009, sayı:5237.
- Gürel Yılmaz G. Suça Sürüklenen ve Suça Sürüklenmeyen Ergenlerin Benlik Saygısı Düzeylerinin Karşılaştırılması. Maltepe Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Psikoloji Anabilim Dalı, Yüksek Lisans Tezi, İstanbul, 2009.
- Hatice Altun, Nilfer Şahin, Ebru Fındıklı, Hayati Sınır. Suça sürüklenen çocukların suç tipleri, sosyodemografik ve klinik özellikleri. J For Med. 2016;30(3):196-204.
- Tamer H, Aciksari O, Keten A, Karanfil R, Avsar A. Socio-demographic data of delinquent children in Kahramanmaras. J For Med 2014;28(2):115-20.
- Şen S, Karbeyaz K, Toygar M, Akkaya H. Sociodemographic evaluation of children pushed into crime in Eskisehir. J For Med 2012;26(3):146-55
- Gokcen C, Dursun OB. Evaaluation of forensic cases referred to the child psychiatry clinic of a research hospital. Dusunen Adam Dergisi 2012;25(3):238-43.
- Dirol F, Cantürk B, Küçüker H. Evaluation of ability of stand trial examinations of adolescents at Elazıg Forensic Medicine Branch of Council of Forensic Medicine between the years 1997-1999. J Clin Forensic Med 2002;2:43-6.
- Wong TML, Slotboom AM, Bijleveld CJH. Risk factors for delinquency in adolescent and young adult fe