Sociodemographic and Clinical Features of Children Dragged To Crime in Sivas Province
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 24 No. 3 (2019)
Objective: In this study, it was aimed to investigate the sociodemographic characteristics, types of crime and intelligence levels of delinquent children and to determine the reasons that push these children into crime.
Materials and Methods: The data of 86 cases who were referred to Cumhuriyet University pediatric and adolescent mental health and diseases outpatient clinic for forensic report by the judicial authorities between 01.01.2017-01.06.2018 were analyzed retrospectively. Age, gender, socioeconomic status, educational level, intelligence level and psychological diagnoses of children according to DSM-5; also, the characteristics of the crime and the results of the forensic reports were evaluated.
Results: 90.6% of the cases were male. The mean age at the time of the crime was 13.76 ± 0.89. Most of them were children of low- and middle-level families with low socioeconomic status. 72% of the cases did not have any mental illness. Conduct Disorder (CD) was the most common mental disorder. The majority of cases (82.5%) had normal intelligence. The most frequently committed crime was “theft” (50%). 30.2% of the cases had a history of recurrent crime. Only 25.5% of these cases had the ability to perceive the legal meaning and results of the act and to direct their behavior.
Conclusion: Juvenile delinquency is an increasing problem in our country. For this reason, it is important to determine the risk factors that lead children to commit crimes and to take necessary measures in this regard.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Fırat S, İltaş Y, Gülmen MK. Adana’da suça sürüklenen çocukların sosyodemografik özellikleri. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2016;21(2):86-92.
- Çocuk Hakları Sözleşmesi. T.C. Resmi Gazete, 27 Ocak 1995, sayı:22184.
- Turan Ġ. Suça sürüklenen çocuklar: Kocaeli örneği. 2012.
- Aksu H, Karakoç Demirkaya S, Gürbüz Özgür B, Gün B. Aydın ilinde bir yıldaki çocuk ve ergen adli olguların değerlendirilmesi. Anadolu Psikiyatr Derg 2013;14(4):369-377. https://doi.org/10.5455/apd.43501.
- Cantürk G. Çocuk Suçluluğunda Adli Psikiyatrik Değerlendirme. Sted, 2005; 14: 31-34.
- Baltacı A. Çocuk Suçluluğu. Ankara Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi. Ankara, 2011.
- Türk Ceza Kanunu T.C. Resmi Gazete, 26 Eylül 2009, sayı:5237.
- Gürel Yılmaz G. Suça Sürüklenen ve Suça Sürüklenmeyen Ergenlerin Benlik Saygısı Düzeylerinin Karşılaştırılması. Maltepe Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Psikoloji Anabilim Dalı, Yüksek Lisans Tezi, İstanbul, 2009.
- Hatice Altun, Nilfer Şahin, Ebru Fındıklı, Hayati Sınır. Suça sürüklenen çocukların suç tipleri, sosyodemografik ve klinik özellikleri. J For Med. 2016;30(3):196-204.
- Tamer H, Aciksari O, Keten A, Karanfil R, Avsar A. Socio-demographic data of delinquent children in Kahramanmaras. J For Med 2014;28(2):115-20.
- Şen S, Karbeyaz K, Toygar M, Akkaya H. Sociodemographic evaluation of children pushed into crime in Eskisehir. J For Med 2012;26(3):146-55
- Gokcen C, Dursun OB. Evaaluation of forensic cases referred to the child psychiatry clinic of a research hospital. Dusunen Adam Dergisi 2012;25(3):238-43.
- Dirol F, Cantürk B, Küçüker H. Evaluation of ability of stand trial examinations of adolescents at Elazıg Forensic Medicine Branch of Council of Forensic Medicine between the years 1997-1999. J Clin Forensic Med 2002;2:43-6.
- Wong TML, Slotboom AM, Bijleveld CJH. Risk factors for delinquency in adolescent and young adult females: A European review. Eur J Criminol 2010;7(4):266-84.
- Şengül HA, Cantürk N, Cantürk G, Dağalp R. Evaluation of the children on trial in the Ankara 1st Children’s High Criminal Court for peer abuse. Turk Arch Ped 2012;47(4):283-9.
- Güler G, Sungur MA, Kütük MÖ. Suça Sürüklenen Çocukların Klinik ve Sosyodemografik Özelliklerinin Değerlendirilmesi. Adli Tıp Bülteni 2017;22. https://doi.org/10.17986/blm.2017332628.
- Avcıl S, Avcıl M, Yılma N. Sociodemographic and clinical characteristics of juvenile delinquents. Cukurova Med J 2018;43(4):853-861.
- Bilal Ö, Şentürk Pilan B, Orhon Z, Bayrak A. The analysis of types of crimes and psychiatric diagnoses of delinquents: A cross sectional study. Turk J Child Adolescent Ment Health 2014;21(2):115-22.
- Criss MM, Shaw DS. Sibling relationships as contexts for delinquency training in low-income families. J Fam Psychol 2005;19(4):592-600.
- Farrington DP, et al. The concentartion of offenders in families, and family criminality in the prediction of boys’ delinquency. J Adolesc 2001;24:579-596.
- Göker Z, Hesapçıoğlu ST, Sarp KS, Kandil ST. Evaluation psycho-legal subjects admitted to KTU Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Department in last two years. J For Med 2006;20(3):1-5.
- Kurtuluş A, Salman N, Günbet G, Boz B, Cenger CD, Acar K. Sociodemographic characteristics of the children, aged between 12 And 15, who were dragged to crime in the city of Denizli. Pam Med J 2009;2(1):8-14.