The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Factors That Effect on Dispersion of Shutgun Pellets
Corresponding Author : Hüseyin Bülent Üner
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 5 No. 2 (2000)
Shotguns are the most popular, world wide weapons. There are a number of variables that affect the size of the shot pattern such as barrel length, shot size, range of fire, degree of choking and type of wadding. In this study test shots were carried out with various type of shotguns and ammunition and mainly the effect of the type of wadding on the size of shot pattern is investigated. It was determined that when the choke of the barrel increased, the size of shot pattern decreased. It was seen that when the shot size decreased, the size of shot pattern increased. Also, it was determined that when the range of fire increased, the size of shot pattern increased progressively. And finally, have been detected smaller size of shot pattern when power piston (plastic wad) was used instead of felt wad.
Key words: Shotgun, wadding, pellet distribution.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Erdal Özer, Bülent Şam, Murat Bülent Tokdemir, Ali Yıldırım, Gürsel Çetin, Medicolegal Autopsy Artefacts , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 15 No. 2 (2010)
- Halis Dokgöz, Bülent Şam, Gökhan Ersoy, Nurşen Turan Müsellim, Child Death due to Neglect a Case Report , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2002)
- Hüseyin Bülent Üner, Ali Çerkezoğlu, Bülent Şam, The Sodium Rhodizonate Test a Specific Test for Heavy Metals in Gunshot Residues , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 2 No. 2 (1997)
- Aykut Taner Güven, Bülent Şam, Gözde Şirin, Scuba Diving Fatalities in Istanbul , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 9 No. 2 (2004)
- Ümit Ünüvar Atılmış, Bülent Şam, Elif Ülker Akyıldız, Osman Öztürk, Oğuzhan Ekizoğlu, Case of Sudden Death Cause of Tubal Pregnancy Rupture , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 12 No. 2 (2007)
- Arzu Akçay Turan, Işıl Pakiş, Nadir Arıcan, Ferah Karayel, Bülent Şam, Gamze Kavas, Büge Öz, Delayed Neuropathologic Changes After Carbon Monoxide Intoxication Two Case Reports , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2003)
- Hüseyin Bülent Üner, Ali Çerkezoğlu, Bülent Şam, Ömer Kurtaş, Cafer Uysal, Localization of the Gunpowder Residues on the Shooters’ Hands , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 4 No. 3 (1999)
- Çiğdem Süner, Can Gökdoğan, Bülent Şam, Sadık Toprak, Mustafa Pac, Determination of Consistency and Reliability of Diagnostic Accuracy Derived From Autopsy Photographs , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2002)
- Erdal Özer, Bülent Şam, Taşkın Özdeş, Halis Dokgöz, Fatal Cocaine Overdose due to Body Packers Syndrome a Case Report , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 10 No. 2 (2005)
- Hüseyin Bülent Üner, Bülent Şam, Ömer Kurtaş, Cüneyt Atasoy, Cafer Uysal, Tear Gas Ammunition and Gunshot Residues , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 2 No. 1 (1997)
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Türk standartları TS 870/ Nisan 1991. Tüfekler-yivsiz ateşli kara avcılığı ve müsabaka için Shotguns-Türk Standartları Enstitüsü. Ankara.
- Di Maio VJM.Gunshot wounds: Pratical aspects of firearms, ballistics and forensic tecniques. Elsevier, New York, Amsterdam, Oxford, 1985: 163-208.
- Fatteh A. Medicolegal investigation of gunshots wounds. Lippincott CO., Philadelphia, Toronto, 1976: 16-27.
- Gök Ş. Adli tıp. 5. Baskı. Filiz Kitabevi. İstanbul. 1983. 210-21.
- Berg SO. Forensic ballistcs laboratory. In Tedeschi C.G., Eskert WG, Tedesci Gl, eds. Forensic Medicine W.B Saunders Co. Philaledelphia, London Toronto. 1977: 551-3.
- Camps FE, Robinson AE, Lucas BGB. In Gradwhol’s legal medicine. John Wright and Sons Ltd. Bristol. 1976. 193, 210-1.
- Çoltu A, Durak D, Durak K. Av tüfeklerinde atış mesafesi tayini (ön çalışma) Ulusal Adli Tıp günleri Kongre Kitabı 16-20 Ekim. Antalya 69-72. 1995
- Hirsch CS. Shotgun wounds. In: Fisher RS, Pety CS, eds. Forensic Pathology. U.S Department of justice 1977:144-148.
- Cassidy M. Smooth-Bore firearm injuries. In: The pathology of trauma. Third ed., Eds,: Mason, JK, Purdue BN. Arnold, London. 2000:63-71.
- Knight B. Forensic pathology. Second ed, Arnold, London, Sidney, Auckland, 1977:247-8.
- Çakır İ. Pompalı av tüfeği ile yapılan atışlarda saçmaların dağılımına göre atış mesafesinin tayini. Master Tezi. Fen Bilimleri Anabilim Dalı, İ Ü. Adli Tıp Enstitüsü, 1997: 37-47.
- Üner HB, Polat O. Av tüfeği ile yapılan atışlarda bilardo topu saçılma etkisinin incelenmesi. 1. Adli Bilimler Kongresi. 12-15 Nisan Kongre Kitabı, Adana, 334-6, 1994.