Suicide by Homemade Hydrogen Sulfide in Turkey a Case Report
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 21 No. 3 (2016)
Suicide is a major public health problem and globally the second leading cause of death among young adults. Most of deaths due to H2S were seen among sewage or industrial workers because of acute exposure to this gas. Suicide by inhalation of homemade H2S has been reported for the first time in Japan, in 2007. In this study, for the first time, a 24-years-old male university student (from Turkey) preparing homemade H2S by using commercially available chemical products that were bought online in order to suicide was reported. The case is discussed in the light of related literature.
- Organisation mondiale de la santé., Saxena S, Krug EG, Chestnov O. Preventing suicide : a global imperative. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014. 1 vol. (89 pages) p.
- Tait L, Michail M. Educational interventions for general practitioners to identify and manage depression as a suicide risk factor in young people: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol. Systematic reviews. 2014;3:145.
- Zhao S, Zhang J. Suicide risks among adolescents and young adults in rural China. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2015;12(1):131-145.
- Verona E, Javdani S. Dimensions of adolescent psychopathology and relationships to suicide risk indicators. Journal of youth and adolescence. 2011;40(8):958-971.
- Brent DA, Baugher M, Bridge J, Chen T, Chiappetta L. Age- and sex-related risk factors for adolescent suicide. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 1999;38(12):1497-1505.
- Beautrais AL. Child and young adolescent suicide in New Zealand. The Australian and New Zealand journal of psychiatry. 2001;35(5):647-653.
- Park S. Brief report: Sex differences in suicide rates and suicide methods among adolescents in South Korea, Japan, Finland, and the US. Journal of adolescence. 2015;40C:74-77.
- Hee Ahn M, Park S, Ha K, Choi SH, Hong JP. Gender ratio comparisons of the suicide rates and methods in Korea, Japan, Australia, and the United States. J Affect Disord. 2012;142(1-3):161-165.
- Maebashi K, Iwadate K, Sakai K, Takatsu A, Fukui K, Aoyagi M, et al. Toxicological analysis of 17 autopsy cases of hydrogen sulfide poisoning resulting from the inhalation of intentionally generated hydrogen sulfide gas. Forensic Sci Int. 2011;207(1-3):91-95.
- Austin A, Winskog C, van den Heuvel C, Byard RW. Recent trends in suicides utilizing helium. Journal of forensic sciences. 2011;56(3):649-651.
- Skrtic L. Hydrogen sulfide, oil and gas, and people’s health [Master's of Science Thesis]. Berkeley, CA: University of California; 2006.
- Budinsky Jr RA. Hematotoxicity: chemically induced toxicity of the blood. In: Williams PL, James RC, Roberts SM, editors. Principles of toxicology: environmental and industrial applications. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley; 2000. p. 105-106.
- Morii D, Miyagatani Y, Nakamae N, Murao M, Taniyama K. Japanese experience of hydrogen sulfide: the suicide craze in 2008. Journal of occupational medicine and toxicology (London, England). 2010;5:28.
- Reedy SJ, Schwartz MD, Morgan BW. Suicide fads: frequency and characteristics of hydrogen sulfide suicides in the United States. The western journal of emergency medicine. 2011;12(3):300-304.
- Sams RN, Carver HW, 2nd, Catanese C, Gilson T. Suicide with hydrogen sulfide. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2013;34(2):81-82.
- Bott E, Dodd M. Suicide by hydrogen sulfide inhalation. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2013;34(1):23-25.
- Kobayashi K, Fukushima H. [Suicidal poisoning due to hydrogen sulfide produced by mixing a liquid bath essence containing sulfur and a toilet bowl cleaner containing hydrochloric acid]. Chudoku kenkyu : Chudoku Kenkyukai jun kikanshi = The Japanese journal of toxicology. 2008;21(2):183-188.
- Burnett WW, King EG, Grace M, Hall WF. Hydrogen sulfide poisoning: review of 5 years' experience. Canadian Medical Association journal. 1977;117(11):1277-1280.
- Fuller DC, Suruda AJ. Occupationally related hydrogen sulfide deaths in the United States from 1984 to 1994. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine / American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2000;42(9):939-942.
- Aşırdizer M, Kırangil B, Sarı H. Intoxication cases which one of two died due to hydrogen sulfide intoxication. 8th National Days of Forensic Medicine; October 16-20, 1995; Antalya, Turkey1995.
- Büyük Y, Kurnaz G, Özbay M, Kır MZ. Fosseptik Çukurunda Üçlü Ölüm. Bull Leg Med. 2007;12(2):73-77. https://doi.org/10.17986/blm.2007122640.
- Daldal H, Beder B, Serin S, Sungurtekin H. Hydrogen sulfide toxicity in a thermal spring: a fatal outcome. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2010;48(7):755-756.
- Chang SS, Page A, Gunnell D. Internet searches for a specific suicide method follow its high-profile media coverage. The American journal of psychiatry. 2011;168(8):855-857.
- Hazırladığı zehirli gaz karışımışla intihar etti (Suicide by homemade toxic gas). Hürriyet Gazetesi. İstanbul: 11/20/2010. Available from: http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/16331995.asp
- Mühendisin Şüpheli Ölümü (Hazardous death of the engineer). Sabah Gazetesi. 01/31/2015 Available from: http://www.sabah.com.tr/yasam/2015/01/31/muhendisin-supheli-olumu
- Suicide Statistics 2013 [press release]. Ankara: Turkish Statistical Institute, 06/20/2014 2014.
- Odacı H, Kalkan M. Problematic Internet use, loneliness and dating anxiety among young adult university students. Computers & Education. 2010;55(3):1091-1097.
- Youth in Statistics, 2013 [press release]. Ankara: Turkish Statistical Institute, 06/20/2014 2014.