Evaluation of Handwritings of Identical Twins by Forensic Handwriting Principles
Objective: In the field of forensic science, one of the most noteworthy topics about identical twins is hand writing.
In this study; It is aimed to determine the degree of similarity of the handwritings of the identical twins and to evaluate the effect of the genetic similarities in terms of examination of the judicial documents.
Materials and Methods: In our study; “Atatürk’ün Gençliğe Hitabesi”- “Atatürk’s Speech to Youth” is printed on 100 voluntary adults. Letters “a, b, d, g, m, r, ş, u, v, y, z” were examined with the aid of a magnifying glass and ruler.
Results: There were no statistically significant differences in the similarity rates of the handwritten characters with the variables analyzed (gender of twins, age, occupation of the same profession, same level of education, residence time in the same household, frequency of use of writing, (p>0.05). The letter “d” (56%) used by 50 twin pairs was used as the most similar letter, and the letter “m” (14%) was used as the least similar letter. It has been found that the handwritings of female couples show more similarity than male couples. The similarity rates of female twins in their handwriting were 90.9% maximum, minimum 0%; The similarity ratios of the male twins to the handwriting maximum: 54.54%, minimum 0%. Conclusion: Even though the handwriting is highly similar in our work, we have achieved results that support the scientific truth that the two handwriting cannot be quite similar. The results are important in terms of diagnostic features in the identification of handwritings.
2. Sala S. Yazı ve İmza Nedir? Çağdaş Anlamda El Yazısında Kullanılan Enstrümanlar Nelerdir?. Aşıoğlu F editör. Adli Belge İncelemesi. İstanbul: Beta Basım; 2005. s. 30.
3. Bafra J. El Yazısı İncelemelerinde “Kişisel Yazı Unsurlarının İsteyerek Değiştirilmesi” Problemi ve Kimlik Belirlenmesi (Doktora Tezi). İstanbul: İstanbul Üniversitesi, Adli Tıp Enstitüsü; 1995.
4. Bird C, Found B, Rogers D. Forensic document examiners’ skill in distinguishing between natural and disguised handwriting behaviors. Journal of Forensic Sciences 2010;55(5):1291-5.
5. Found B, Ganas J. The management of domain irrelevant context in formation in forensic handwriting examination case work. Scienceand Justice 2013;53:154-8.
6. Özcan E. Latin Harflerini Kullanan Bireylerin Ana Dil, Yabancı Dil ve Hiç Bilmedikleri Bir Dildeki El Yazı Örneklerinin Adli Belge İnceleme Yönünden Değerlendirilmesi (Master Tezi). Tez Danışmanı: CANTURK N. Ankara: Ankara Üniversitesi, Adli Bilimler Enstitüsü; 2016.
7. Birincioğlu İ, Özkara E. Adli Belge İncelemelerinde Bilinmeyenler, Örneklerle Yazı ve İmza Analizi ile Islak İmza Kavramı. TBB Dergisi 2010;87:403-3.
8. Güneş F. Okumada Küçük Harflerin Büyük Gücü. Adıyaman Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi 2012;5(10):93-08.
9. Çınar T. El Yazısı ve İmza İncelemeleri. Aşıcıoğlu F editör. Adli Belge İncelemesi. İstanbul: Beta Basım; 2005. s.70.
10. Tıraş B. (İnternet). Tek Yumurta İkizleri. (Erişim Tarihi: 24 Ocak 2016) Erişim: http://jinekoloji.com/tek-yumurta-ikizleri.
11. Machin G. Non-identical monozygotic twins, intermediate twin types, zygosity testing, and the non-random nature of monozygotic twinning: A review. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2009;151C:110-7.
12. Ketelaar ME, Hofstrab RMW, Hayden MR. What monozygotic twins discordant for phenotype illustrate about mechanismsin fluencing geneticforms of neurode generation. Clinical Genetics 2012;81:325-33.
13. Bayan OM, Shamsuddin SM. Feature discretization for individuality representation in twins handwritten identification. Journal of Computer Science 2011;7:1080-7.
14. Mohammed BO, Shamsuddin SM. Improvement in twins hand writing identification with in variants discretization. EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing 2012;48:1-12.
15. Koppenhaver KM. Forensic Document Examination: Principlesand Practice. New: Humana Press Inc., 2007: p.91.
16. Marquis R, Taroni F, Bozza F, Schmittbuh M. Quantitative characterization of morphological poly morphism of handwritten characters loops. Forensic Science International 2006;164:211-20.
17. Srihari S, Huang C, Srinivasan H. On the discriminability of the handwriting of twins. Journal of Forensic Sciences 2008;53(2):430-46.
18. Aşıcıoğlu F. Yazı ve İmzada Değişen Koşul ve Etmenlere Bağlı Farklılıklar. Aşıcıoğlu F editör. Adli Bilimlerde El Yazısı ve İmza İncelemeleri. İstanbul: Öner Matbaacılık; 2007. s.91.
19. Kurtaş Ö. El Yazısında Temel Tanımlar ve Kurallar (El Yazısı Tanı Unsurları). Aşıcıoğlu F editör. Adli Bilimlerde El Yazısı İncelemeleri. İstanbul: Öner Matbaacılık; 2007. s.33.
Copyright (c) 2017 Behice Şeyda Türedi
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine is an open access scientific journal. Open access means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition of open access.
The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine requires the author as the rights holder to sign and submit the journal's agreement form prior to acceptance. The authors retain copyright of their work and grant the Association for its publication. This ensures both that The Journal has the right to publish the article and that the author has confirmed various things including that it is their original work and that it is based on valid research.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
*Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.