The Initiative of Forensic Specialists on Organ Transplantation of Brain Death Legal Cases
We aimed to discuss organ transplantation of brain death legal cases due to high benefits of patient with forensic and legal points of view. Case: 16 years old, entubated male patient who was intoxicated from inhalation of bottled gas with unconsciousness, bilateral fix-dilated pupils and GCS:3 was admitted to Mersin University Faculty of Medicine and hospitalized in intensive care unit. Subarachnoidal hemarrogie and brain edema were detected in Computerized Cerebral Tomograpy and given medical teraphy. But there was no answer to the treathment and the family was given consent of organ transplantation. Brain death was occured in 04.18.2007 and the case is consulted with our Department of Forensic Medicine. After discussing the case with public attorney we concluded that the organs which was planned to be transplantated had no influence on cause of death and the medicolegal autopsy can performed after transplantation operation. The public attorney approved the procedure and the medicolegal autopsy was performed after operation. There are serious problems in organ transplantation for legal cases. Sheduling of legal notification and pastmortem examination is not clear in such cases. It’s not obvious that these procedures must before or after transplantation operation. The article 11 of the law code numbered 2238 describes the priority of urgent transplantation for patient survive due to the principle of high benefits of the patient. The legal cases who becomes doneur for organ tranplantation must be consulted and evaluated with Forensic Medicine Departments.
Key words: Brain death, organ transplantation, legal case
2. Edirne T. Türkiye’de organ ve doku nakli uygulamaları sonuçları ve strateji önerileri. Türkiye Klinikleri Tıp Bilimleri Dergisi 2004;24(3):261-266.
3. Çekin N, Hilal A, Eren T. Bir Cinayet Olgusundan Organ Aktarımı. 9. Ulusal Adli Tıp Günleri, 18-21 Ekim 2001, Antalya. Paneller ve Poster Sunuları Kitabı: 133-135.
4. http://www.akdeniz.edu.tr/organnak/html4.html. Erişim tarihi 13.08.2009
5. Akmca Ş. Ölüden Organ Alınması Konusunda Karşılaşılan Bazı Hukuki Problemler ve Çözüm Yolları. Organ Ve Doku Naklinde Tıp Etiği ve Hukuki Sorunları. 1.Uluslararası Tıp Etiği ve Tıp Hukuku Kongresi, 2007, İstanbul. Bildiri Kitabı: 137-144.
6. Soyaslan D. Organ Nakilleri. Tıp Ceza Hukukunun Güncel Sorunları, V.Türk Alman Tıp Hukuku Sempozyumu. 28 Şubat-1 Mart 2008, Ankara. Türkiye Barolar Birliği Yayını:328-358.
7. Vatanoğlu EE. Türkiye’de Yasal Ve Etik Boyutuyla Organ Nakli Hakkında, Anket Araştırması Ve Sonuçlar. Doktora Tezi, İstanbul 2007.
8. Oktay B. Organ ve Doku Naklinde Etik ve Hukuksal Sorunlar. Organ Ve Doku Naklinde Tıp Etiği Ve Hukuki Sorunları. 1.Uluslararası Tıp Etiği ve Tıp Hukuku Kongresi, 2007, İstanbul. Bildiri Kitabı: 37-144.
9. Salaçin S, Gülmen MK, Erkol Z, Dönbak L. Beyin ölümü kavramına sosyal yaklaşım: iki ayrı bölge anket çalışmasının değerlendirilmesi. Türkiye Klinikleri Tıbbi Etik 1996;4(2):85-87.
10. Elmas, Sözen Ş, Fincancı ŞK, Aykoç M. Ölüm Kararı ve Yetkisi. I Adli Bilimler Kongresi, 12-15 Nisan 1994, Adana. Kongre Kitabı:66-69.
11. Wijdicks EFM. Brain death worldwide: Accepted fact but no global consencus in diagnostic criteria. Neurology 2002;58:20-25.
12. Conference of Medical Royal Colleges. Diagnosis of brain death: Statement issued by the honorary secretary of the Conference of Medical Royal Colleges and their Faculties in the United Kingdom on 11 October, 1976. Br MedJ 1976;2:1187-1188.
13. Wijdicks EFM . Determining brain death in adults. Neurology 1995;45:1003.
14. Ad Hoc Committee of the Harvard medical School to Examine the Definition of Brain Death: A definition of irreversible coma: Report of the Ad Hoc Committee of the Harvard Medical School to Examine the Definition of Brain Death. JAMA 1968;205:337-340.
15. Organ ve Doku Nakli Hizmetleri Yönetmeliği. http://www.saglik.gov.tr. Erişim tarihi: 24.09.2008.
16. 2238 sayılı Organ ve Doku Alınması, Saklanması, Aşılanması ve Nakli Hakkmda Kanun, www.mev- zuat.adalet.gov.tr/html/526.html. Erişim tari- hi:14.08.2009.
17. http://www.istanbulsaglik.gov.tr/w/sb/tedk/pdf/ organ_nakli_genel_istatistikler.pdf. Erişim Tarihi 13.08.20009.
18. http://www.onkod.org/files/2008donor.xls. Erişim tarihi 13.08.20009
19. http://www.medimagazin.com.tr/mm-akdag-ka- davradan-organ-nakli-sayisi-bakimindan-gerideyiz- h-52840.html erişim tarihi 10.08.2009
20. http://arama.hurriyet.com.tr/arsivnews.aspx?id= 12285112. Erişim tarihi 17.08.2009
21. Doğanay K, Arslan MM, Çekin N. Adli Vakalarda Organ Nakli: Olgu Sunumu. 14.Adli Tıp Günleri, 17-21 Ekim 2007, Antalya, Paneller ve poster sunuları Kitabı:231-233.
22. Ceza Muhakemesi Kanunu. Adil Yayınevi; 2005.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine is an open access scientific journal. Open access means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. This is in accordance with the Budapest Open Access Initiative (BOAI) definition of open access.
The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine requires the author as the rights holder to sign and submit the journal's agreement form prior to acceptance. The authors retain copyright of their work and grant the Association for its publication. This ensures both that The Journal has the right to publish the article and that the author has confirmed various things including that it is their original work and that it is based on valid research.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
*Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
*Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.