Medicolegal Approach to a Case with Erectile Dysfunction after a Traffic Accident
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 24 No. 1 (2019)
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to maintain or to obtain adequate erection for sexual intercourse. In this case report; it was aimed to evaluate erectile dysfunction which developed after a traffic accident due to multi-trauma and to contribute to the guideline for the evaluation of the crimes in forensic medicine.
Medical records included pelvic fractures, bladder and urethra ruptures as well as other injuries. Urology consultation was requested after the application of the case to our department. As a result of this, regarding the current findings, it was found that the case was not enough to perform erection in terms of organic aspects.
It was concluded that the trauma led to the permanent loss of one of the organs in terms of urology.The inclusion of the erectile dysfunction in the relevant guidelines under the heading of sexual dysfunctions is thought to be helpful in the process of forensic report-making.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Goldstein I. Male sexual circuitry. Working group for the study of central mechanisms in erectile dysfunction. Sci Am. 2000;283(2):70-5.
- Shenfeld OZ, Kiselgorf D, Gofrit ON, Verstandig AG, Landau EH, Pode D, et al. The incidence and causes of erectile dysfunction after pelvic fractures associated with posterior urethral disruption. J Urol. 2003;169:2173-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000067660.51231.05
- Harwood PJ, Grotz M, Eardley I, Giannoudis PV. Erectile dysfunction after fracture of the pelvis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005;87:281-90. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.87B3. 15662
- Machtens S, Gansslen A, Pohlemann T, Stief CG. Erectile dysfunction in relation to traumatic pelvic injuries or pelvic fractures. BJU International 2001;87:441-8. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.87B3
- Guan Y, Wendong S, Zhao S, Liu T, Liu Y, Zhang X, et al. The vascular and neurogenic factors associated with erectile dysfunction in patients after pelvic fractures. Int Braz J Urol. 2015;41:959-66. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-5538.IBJU.2014.0170
- DV Patel, MB ChB, FRCR, J Halls, MB BS, FRCR et al. Investigation of erectile dysfunction, Br J Radiol, 2012;85:69–S78. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/20361140
- Aktaş EÖ, Kaya A. Yaralama Suçlarının Adli Tıbbi Değerlendirilmesinde Kullanılan Kılavuza Bakış. Adli Tıp Bülteni, 2017;22(1):45-53. https://doi.org/10.17986/blm.2017127141
- “Türk Ceza Kanunu’nda Tanımlanan Yaralama Suçlarının Adli Tıp Açısından Değerlendirilmesi” kılavuzu. http://www.atk.gov.tr/tckyaralama24-11-15.pdf. Erişim tarihi: 04.10.2018.
- Feng C, Xu YM, Yu JJ, Fei XF, Chen L. Risk factors for erectile dysfunction in patients with urethral strictures secondary to blunt trauma. J Sex Med. 2008;5(11):2656-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.00874.x
- Cai L, Jiang M, Wen Y, Peng C, Zhang B. Forensic identification for erectile dysfunction: experience of a single center. Urology 2015;86: 68-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2015.04.001
- Metze M, Tiemann AH, Josten C. Male sexual dysfunction after pelvic fracture. J Trauma. 2007;63(2):394-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000241145.02748.df
- Wright JL, Nathens AB, Rivara FP, et al. Specific fracture configurations predict sexual and excretory dysfunction in men and women 1 year after pelvic fracture. J Urol. 2006;176:1540-1545. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2006.06.044
- Anger JT, Sherman ND, Dielubanza E, Webster GD, Hegarty PK. Erectile function after posterior urethroplasty for pelvic fracture-urethral distraction defect injuries. BJU Int. 2009;104:1126-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.08589.x
- Gibson GR. Impotence following fractured pelvis and ruptured urethra. Br J Urol. 1970;42(1):86–8.
- King J. Impotence after fractures of the pelvis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1975;57:1107