Forensic Medical Evaluation of the Near Hanging: Case series
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 24 No. 3 (2019)
Objective: The aim was to discuss the sociodemographic characteristics of the near hanging cases, the complications of hanging, the criteria of life hazard.
Materials and Methods: We present 9 cases who survive after suicide attempt by hanging from the Forensic Medicine Outpatient Clinic.
Results: 3 were female, 6 were male. The mean age was 40.1 years. One case in 2015, 4 cases in 2016and 2017. The crime scene was prison in 3 cases, one was in a forest, the others were in the house. Hanging attempts were rope, bed sheet, tracksuit rope in the prison, clothes in the forest, rope in other cases.
In 6 cases, the abrasion detected in the neck. The reasons of attempt isn't clear in one of the cases in prison, the cell punishment in one, the other is being alone in the ward, 5 of family reasons.
Four hadn't loss of consciousness. Five reported partial or complete loss of consciousness. It was concluded that none of the cases in the first hospital admittance, vitality and Glasgow Coma Scale were life-threatening, 8 of them were able to be corrected by simple medical intervention and in 1 patient by simple medical intervention.
Discussion and Conclusion: Suicide is a public health problem that concerns both the patient and his / her close environment and society. In this study, sociodemographic data of 9 patients who had attempted suicide with a hangover and survived the study examined the clinical conditions and complications, and the vital hazard criteria for forensic report.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Saukko P, Knight B. Knight’s Forensic Pathology. 4th Ed. CRC Press. Taylor and Francis Group, 2016, International Standard Book Number-13: 978-1-4441-6508-1 (eBook - PDF).
- Yıldırım MB, Sivri S. Ası olgularının adli- tıbbi açıdan incelenmesi. JCEI. 2015; 6 (4): 400-405.
- Balcı Y, Teyin M. Asfiksiden kurtulanlarda “hayati tehlike” değerlendirmesi. Turkiye Klinikleri J Foren Med 2004, 1:84-92.
- Kumar Rr, Punitha R. Delayed causes of death in hanging: An autopsy study. J Punjab Acad Forensic Med Toxicol 2014;14(1):32-35.
- Salim A, Martin M, Sangthong B, Brown C, Rhee P, Demetriades D. Near-hanging injuries: a 10-year experience. Injury. 2006 May;37(5):435-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2005.12.013
- Karanth S, Nayyar V. What influences outcome of patients with suicidal hanging. J Assoc Physicians India. 2005;53:853-6.
- Solhi H, Pazoki S, Mehrpour O, Alfred S. Epidemiology and prognostic factors in cases of near hanging presenting to a referral hospital in Arak, Iran. J Emerg Med. 2012;43(4):599-604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.09.035
- Vander Krol L, Wolfe R. The emergency department management of near-hanging victims. J Emerg Med. 1994;12(3):285-92). https://doi.org/10.1016/0736-4679(94)90268-2
- Howell MA, Guly HR. Near hanging presenting to an accident and emergency department. J Accid Emerg Med 1996;13(2):135-6). https://doi.org/10.1136/emj.13.2.135
- Brown VL, Espinosa J. Near-hanging injury: two case studies and an overview. Emerg Nurs 1991;17(6):386-9)
- Bradshaw DA, Amundson DE. Complications of suicidal hanging: a case report and brief review. Mil Med 1994; 159(11):720-1. https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/159.11.720
- Wahlen BM, Thierbach AR. Near-hanging. Eur J Emerg Med 2002;9(4):348-50). https://doi.org/10.1097/00063110-200212000-00011
- Hanna SJ. A study of 13 cases of near-hanging presenting to an Accident and Emergency Department. Injury. 2004;35(3):253-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(03)00110-4
- Borkar MS, Patil SB, Sikariya KK et al. Correlation of survivors of near hanging with Glasgow coma scale. Int J Sci Rep. 2015;1(7):287-292). https://doi.org/10.18203/issn.2454-2156.IntJSciRep20151256
- Yıldırım MB, Çelik F, Gümüş A, Tüfek A. The effective factors on survival in near hanging. J Anesth Crit Care Open Access. 2015;2(2): 00051.
- Aşıcıoğlu F, Oral G, Aşırdizer M. Bir ası yolu ile intihar girişimi vakasında suffokasyon sonucu ölüm. Yeni Symposium 1998;36(1-2):37-40.
- Aşıcıoğlu F, Sarı H, Aşırdizer M, Okudan M. Ası komplikasyonları olarak gelişen ölümler. Adalet Bakanlığı, Adli Tıp Kurumu Başkanlığı, I. Ulusal Adli Tıp Kongresi, 1-4 Kasım 1994, Kongre Kitabı, sayfa 79-86.
- Adli Tıp Dergisi 2005; 19(1): 38-39. “Prof. Cahit Özen. Asılıp kurtulanlarda görülen ruhî ve bedenî değişme. Adli-Tıbbi Ekspertiz Mecmuası, 1955; 1”,
- Sauvageau A, La Harpe R, Geberth VJ; Working Group on Human Asphyxia. Agonal sequences in eight filmed hangings: analysis of respiratory and movement responses to asphyxia by hanging. J Forensic Sci. 2010 Sep;55(5):1278-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1556-4029.2010.01434.x
- Gündoğmuş ÜN, Balcı Y, Akın M. Türk Ceza Kanunu’nda Tanımlanan Yaralama Suçlarının Adli Tıp Açısından Değerlendirilmesi, Versiyon-2013