The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
Postmortem Heart School
Corresponding Author(s) : Volkan Zeybek
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 24 No. 3 (2019)
Introduction: Autopsy is the first and only choice in determining cause of death in sudden cardiac death. An updated guideline has been published by the AssociationforEuropean Cardiovascular Pathology for describing sudden death/ sudden cardiac death, autopsy procedure and laboratory tests to be performed. The aim of this study is to evaluate postmortem cardiac school program, which is planned based on this guideline.
Material Method: Course program has theoretical and practical training. A 10-question test was developed for the participants in accordance with their learning objectives to be used at the beginning and end of course. Experiences of trainees were evaluated by South East Thames short interactive course evaluation scale. Two items were added to learn the thoughts of participants on the skills acquisition. A section was formed in which trainees could write their thoughts about course in order to be used in qualitative evaluation.
Results:The pre-test and post-test averages of participants were compared, there was statistically significant increase compared to pre-training. The results of course evaluation scale are examined; it was understood that the majority of participants were satisfied with education process and they felt sufficient in terms of ability to dissection of heart after training.
Discussion:Postmortem Heart School education applied to forensic medicine students has a positive effect on knowledge and skill levels of sudden cardiac death and heart dissection in short term. It is planned to evaluate the long-term effects of this training together with the number of participants in addition to other courses.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Sümeyra Demir, Mustafa Eray Yazar, Ayşe Kurtuluş Dereli, Kemalettin Acar, Analysis of Suicidal Deaths in Denizli A 10-Years Retrospective Autopsy Study , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 23 No. 2 (2018)
- Kemalettin Acar, Kongrelerden , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 23 No. 2 (2018)
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- James JR, Lange RA, Azar OP. What is sudden cardiac death? Acad Forensic Pathol. 2011;1(2):176-186. DOI: https://doi.org/10.23907/2011.023
- Kuriachan VP, Sumner GL, Mitchell LB. Sudden cardiac death. Curr Probl Cardiol. 2015 Apr;40(4):133-200. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpcardiol.2015.01.002
- Basso C, Aguilera B, Banner J, Cohle S, d'Amati G, de Gouveia RH et al. Guidelines for autopsy investigation of sudden cardiac death: 2017 update from the Association for European Cardiovascular Pathology. Virchows Arch. 2017 Dec;471(6):691-705. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00428-017-2221-0
- Fabre A, Sheppard MN. Sudden adult death syndrome and other non-ischaemic causes of sudden cardiac death. Heart. 2006 Mar;92(3):316-320
- Wong CX, Brown A, Lau DH, Chugh SS, Albert CM, Kalman JM, Sanders P. Epidemiology of sudden cardiac death: Global and regional perspectives. Heart Lung Circ. 2019 Jan;28(1):6-14. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2018.08.026
- Sheppard MN. Approach to the Cardiac Autopsy. J Clin Pathol. 2012 Jun;65(6):484-495. doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2011-200366
- Al-Khatib SM, Stevenson WG, Ackerman MJ, Bryant WJ, Callans DJ, Curtis AB, et al. 2017 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018 Oct 2;72(14):e91-e220. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2017.10.054
- Aktürk Z, Dağdeviren N, Şahin M, Özer C. South East Thames (SETh) didaktik ve interaktif kurs değerlendirme ölçeklerinin Türkçe’ye uyarlanması. T Klin Tıp Bilimleri. 2002;22:152-155
- Koç S, Can M. Birinci basamakta adli tıp, 2. Baskı, 2011
- Kara CO, Özdemir S. Mezuniyet sonrası cerrahi beceri eğitiminde ölçme değerlendirme. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Educ-Special Topics 2016;1(2):41-46
- Yılmaz N, Özgü E, Doğanay M, Aksakal O, Engin-Üstün Y. Jinekolojik cerrahide temel prensipler kursu öntest-sontest değerlendirme sonuçları. Jinekoloji - Obstetrik ve Neonatoloji Tıp Dergisi 2018;15(1):14-16
- Wanzel KR, Matsumoto ED, Hamstra SJ, Anastakis DJ. Teaching technical skills: training on a simple, inexpensive, and portable model. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002 Jan;109(1):258-263
- Balcı Y. Adli tıp hizmet modeli ve insan gücü planlaması, 2007, Adana, http://www.atud.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/hizmet_modeli.pdf, (ATUD web sitesi), Erişim tarihi: 20.09.2017