The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
Investigation of Sociodemographic Characteristics, Work Life and Mental Health in Mobbing Victims: Case Series
Corresponding Author : Derya Deniz
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 24 No. 3 (2019)
Objective: The aim of this study to evaluate mobbing victims who resorted to outpatient clinics of Department of Forensic Medicine at İstanbul University Faculty of Medicine. 34 workers who were exposed to mobbing were evaluated by clinical interview and social investigation.
Materials and Methods: Information about the mobbing process, sociodemographic characteristics and workplace of the cases were obtained by clinical interview. In this study, the diagnoses given to the patients after the assessment in the Psychiatry Department of İstanbul University Medical Faculty were used. Descriptive Analysis were made using the data of 34 participants.
Results: 67.6% of the cases were female and 32.4% were male. They were aged between 31-62 years and the mean age was 42, 18. 20 of the cases were single, 12 of them were married and 2 of them were divorced. 3 of them were high school graduates, 11 of them have bachelor’s degree and 10 of them have master’s degree. 24 of them (% 70, 6) were working in the public sector and 10 of them (%29,4) were working in the private sector. Their work experiences range from 5 to 35 years. The mean duration of exposure to mobbing was 31.6 months. 91.2% of the cases (31 workers) stated that they were exposed to vertical mobbing.16 of cases were teachers, 7 of them were academicians, 2 of them were health workers, 4 of them were employees of service sector, 2 of them were civil servants, 2 of them were non-governmental organizations’ workers and...
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Derya Deniz, Reliability in the Diagnosis of Personality Disorders and Criminal Responsibility , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2017)
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Tınaz P, Bayram F, Ergin H. İşyerinde Psikolojik Taciz (mobbing).Beta Yayınları, İstanbul, 2008
- Deniz D. Mobbing (İşyerinde Yıldırma).Fam Yayınları, İstanbul, 2012;
- Deniz D. İşyerinde Örgütsel Yıldırmaya Maruz Kalanların Kişilik Yapıları ve Kullandıkları Ego Savunma Mekanizmaları [Yüksek Lisans Tezi], İstanbul Üniversitesi, Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü, Psikoloji Anabilim Dalı, 2007
- Maple T, Mathesson DW.“Aggression, Hostility and Violence”, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York,Inc.,t.y.
- Pitman RL. Humpback whales interfering when mammal-eating killer whales attack other species: Mobbing behavior and interspecific altruism? Mar Mammal Sci, 2017; 33(1): 7–58 doi:10.1111/mms.12343
- Caro TM. Antipredator Defenses in Birds and Mammals. University of Chicago Press, Chicago IL, 2005
- Graw B, Manser MB. The function of mobbing in cooperative meerkats. Anim Behav,2007; 74:507–517
- Ribeiro da Cunha FC, Fontenellec FCR, Griessera M. Predation risk drives the expression of mobbing across bird species. Behav Ecol, 2017;28(6): 1517–1523 doi:10.1093/beheco/arx111
- Margaret C. Crofoot, Why Mob? Reassessing the Costs and Benefits of Primate Predator Harassment, Folia Primatol, 2012;83:252–273 doi: 10.1159/000343072
- Davenport N, Schwartz RD, Elliot GP. Mobbing, İşyerinde Duygusal Taciz, Çev. Osman Cem Önertoy, Sistem Yayıncılık, İstanbul,2003
- Leymann H. Mobbing and psychological terror at workplaces.Violence Victims, 1990;5(2):119-126
- Einarsen S. Harassment and bullying at work: A review of the scandinavian approach. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 2000; 5(4):379-401 doi: 10.1016/S1359-1789(98)00043-3
- Zapf D, Gross C: Conflict escalation and coping with workplace bullying: A replication and extension. Eur J Work Organ Psy, 2001;10(4): 497 – 522 doi:10.1080/13594320143000834
- Leymann H: The content and development of mobbing at work. Eur J Work Organ Psy, 1996;5(2):165 -184
- Leymann H. The Mobbing Encyclopedia. file:///C:/ Users/kayalut/ Desktop /l%C3% BCt/ Consequences%20of%20 mobbing.htm (cited 07.02.2011).
- Pranas Z, Jolita V: Diagnosis of mobbing as discrimination in employee relations, Work Humanism, Inzinerine Ekonomika-Engineering Economics, 2009; (4):103
- Neuman JH, Baron RA. Workplace violonce and workplace aggression: Evidence concerning spesific forms, potential causes and preffered targets. J Manage,1998;24(3): 391-419 doi:10.1177/01492063980240030
- Özdevecioğlu M. Algılanan örgütsel adaletin bireylerarası saldırgan davranışlar üzerindeki etkilerinin belirlenmesine yönelik bir araştırma. Erciyes Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 2003;21:77-96
- Mayhew C, Chapell D. International violence (or bullying) and the Health Workforce, School of Industrial Relations and Organizational Behaviour, Industrial Relations Research Centre Working Paper Series, 2001;Discussion Paper (3):1-35
- Allcorn S. Anger in the Workplace: Understanding the Causes of Aggression & Violence. Greenwood Publishing Group, Westport(USA);1994
- Voroney J. Workplace bullying: A cultural perspective. Culture of Peace Online Journal 2005;1(1):21-30
- Fitzgerald LF, Magley VJ, Drasgow F, Waldo CR. Measuring sexual harassment in the military: The sexual experiences questionnaire (SEQ-DoD). Military Psychology, 1999; 11(3):243-263 doi:10.1207/s15327876mp1103_3
- Quinn MM, Sembajwe G, Stoddard AM, Kriebel D, Krieger N, Sorensen G, Hartman C, Naishadham D, Barbeau EM. Social disparities in the burden of occupational exposures: results of a crosssectional study. Am J Ind Med, 2007; 50:861–875.
- Pranjic N, Males-Billic L, Beganlic A,Mustajbegovic J. Mobbing, stress and work ability index among physicians in Bosnia and Herzegovina: Survey Study. Crot Med J., 2006;47: 750-758
- Pasquale VD. Study examines “mobbing” at the workplace._Baden_Eaden_Germany._http://eurofound.europea.eu/eiro/2002/08/feature/de0208203f.htm [Erişim Tarihi: 27.04.2009].
- Richa G, Arti B, Ståle E. Investigating workplace bullying in India: Psychometric properties, validity, and cutoff scores of negative acts questionnaire–revised, Article in SAGE, June 2017; 7(2):1-12 doi: 10.1177/2158244017715674
- Erçetin ŞŞ, Hamedoğlu MA, Çelik S. Mobbing in primary schools (A case study for Hendek country, Sakarya). World Applied Sciences Journal. 2008;3(6): 945-955.
- Koç M, Urasoğlu Bulut H: Ortaöğretim öğretmenlerinde mobbing: Cinsiyet yaş ve lise türü değişkenleri açısından incelenmesi. International Online Journal of Educational Sciences, 2009;1 (1):64 - 80
- Yıldırım A, Yıldırım D. Mobbing in the workplace by peers and managers: Mobbing experienced by nurses working in healthcare facilities in Turkey and its effect on nurses. J Clin Nurs, 2007; 16: 1444–1453. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01814.x
- Karsavuran S. Sağlık sektöründe mobbing: Hastane yöneticileri üzerinde bir uygulama, Mustafa Kemal Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi, 2014: 11(26):271-296
- Bilgel N, Aytac S, Bayram N. Bullying in turkish white-collar workers. Occup Med C, 2006; 56: 226–231 doi:10.1093/occmed/kqj041
- Yıldız S, Tüzünturk S, Giorgi G. Workplace bullying in Turkey: Prevalence among private sector employees. Risorsa Uoma, 2008; 14(2):157–170.
- Hoobler JM, Rospenda KM, Lemmon G, Rosa JA. A within subject longitudinal study of the effects of positive job experiences and generalized workplace harassment on well-being. J Occup Health Psychol,2010;15(4):434–451. doi:10.1037/A0021000
- Namie G: Workplace bullying: Escalated incivility.Ivey Business Journal, November-December 2003;68(2):1-6
- Mikkelsen EG, Einarsen S.Basic assumptions and symptoms of post-traumatic stress among victims of bullying at work, Eur J Work Organ Psy, 2002; 11(1):87-111 doi 10.1080/13594320143000861
- Björkqvist K, Österman K, Hjelt-Bäck M. Aggression among university employees. Aggressive Behav,1994; 20:173–184. doi:10.1002/1098-2337(1994)20:3
- O’Moore M, Seigne E, McGuire L, Smith M. Victims of bullying at work in Ireland. Journal of Occupational Health and Safety—Australia and New Zealand, 1998; 14(6): 569–574. doi:10.1080/03033910.1998.10558195
- Nielsen MB, Nielsen GH, Notelaers G, Einarsen S. Workplace bullying and suicidal ideation: A 3-wave longitudinal Norwegian study. Am J Public Health, 2015; (11): 23–28 doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2015.302855
- Nielsen MB, Einarsen S, Notelaers G, Nielsen, GH. Does exposure to bullying behaviors at the workplace contribute to later suicidal ideation? A threewave longitudinal study. Scand J Work Env Hea, 2016;42(3):246–250. doi:10.5271/sjweh.3554.
- Schmidtke K. Functional memory disturbances, Nervenarzt, 1995;66(5):338-346
- Hansen ÅM, Høgh A, Garde AH, Persson R. Workplace bullying and sleep difficulties: A 2-year follow-up study. Int Arch Occ Env Hea, 2014; 87(3): 285–294. doi: 10.1007/s00420-013-0860-2
- Kivimäki M, Leino-Arjas P, Virtanen M, Elovainio M, Keltikangas-Järvinen L, Puttonen S, Vathera J. Work stress and incidence of newly diagnosed fibromyalgia. Prospective cohort study. J Psychosom Res, 2004; 57,417–422 doi:10.1016/j.jpsychores.2003.10.013
- Tynes T, Johannessen HA, Sterud T. Work-related psychosocial and organizational risk factors for headache: A 3-year follow-up study of the general working population in Norway. J Occup Environ Med , 2013; 55(12):1436–1442 doi:10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182a7e678
- Kääriä S, Laaksonen M, Rahkonen O, Lahelma E, Leino-Arjaas P. Risk factors of cronic neck pain: A prospective study among middle-aged employees. Eur J Pain, 2012; 16(6): 911–920 doi: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2011.00065.x.
- Yamada D. The phenomenon of 'workplace bullying' and the need for status-blind hostile work environment protection. Georgetown Law J, 2000; 88(3): 475- 536
- Einarsen S. Harassment and bullying at work: A review of the Scandinavian approach, Aggress Violent Beh, 2000,5(4):379-40 doi: 10.1016/S1359-1789(98)00043-3
- Lewis SE, Orford J. Women’s experiences of workplace bullying: Changes in social relationships, J Community Appl Soc, 2005;15: 29-47. doi: 10.1002/casp.807
- Beasley J, Rayner C. Bullying at work. J Community Appl Soc ,1997; 7:177-180.
- Cowie H, Naylor P, Rivers I, Smith PK, Pereira B. Measuring workplace bullying. AggressViolent Beh, 2002; 7:33-51 doi:10.1016/S1359-1789(00)00034-3
- Salin D. Prevalence and forms of bullying among business professionals: A comparasion of two different strategies for measuring bullying. Eur J Work Organ Psy, 2001;10 (4): 425-441.
- Solmuş T. İş yaşamında travmalar: Cinsel taciz ve duygusal zorbalık/taciz (mobbing). İş,Güç Endüstri İlişkileri ve İnsan Kaynakları Dergisi, 2005:7 (2):1-14 doi: 10.4026/1303-2860.2005.0016.x
- Di Martino V, Hoel H, Cooper CL. Preventing Violence and Harressment in the Workplace,European Foundation fort the Improvement of Living And Working Conditions, Ireland, 2003
- Öztürk M, Şahbudak E. İşyerinde psikolojik taciz (mobbing) ve işdoyumu: Cumhuriyet üniversitesindeki araştırma görevlileri üzerine bir çalışma. Sosyoloji Araştırmaları Dergisi, 2017; 20(2):200-228
- Güven A, Kaplan Ç, Acungil Y. Türkiye’de özel ve kamu üniversitelerinde çalışan akademisyenlerin mobbing algısı. Akademik Araştırmalar ve Çalışmalar Dergisi,2018; 10(18): 43-58
- Kayacı, Ü. Akademik ortamlarda psikolojik şiddet (mobbing) ve yılmazlık. Türk Eğitim Bilimleri Dergisi,2014; 12(2):67-78.