The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
Localization of the Gunpowder Residues on the Shooters’ Hands
Corresponding Author : Hüseyin Bülent Üner
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 4 No. 3 (1999)
When a firearm is discharged, certain vaporous and particulate material are expelled in the area around the firearm. Gunpowder residue particles can be identified on shooters’ hands. The purpose of this investigation was to study the distribution of the gunshot residues left on firing hands In this study shooters tired the weapon with cloth gloves. Test shots were carried out with various types of weapons and ammunition with each hands holding the weapon. Modified Griess Test was used to detect gunpowder residue particles and their distribution pattern on the cloth gloves Gunshot residues were found, especially, on the web area of the back of the shooters’ hand.
Key words: Gunshot residues, Modified Griess Test.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Erdal Özer, Bülent Şam, Murat Bülent Tokdemir, Ali Yıldırım, Gürsel Çetin, Medicolegal Autopsy Artefacts , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 15 No. 2 (2010)
- Halis Dokgöz, Bülent Şam, Gökhan Ersoy, Nurşen Turan Müsellim, Child Death due to Neglect a Case Report , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2002)
- Nevzat Alkan, Şebnem Korur Fincancı, Nadir Arıcan, Ömer Kurtaş, Age Gender and Education Dependent Alterations of Handwriting and Signature , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 1 No. 3 (1996)
- Hüseyin Bülent Üner, Ali Çerkezoğlu, Bülent Şam, The Sodium Rhodizonate Test a Specific Test for Heavy Metals in Gunshot Residues , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 2 No. 2 (1997)
- Aykut Taner Güven, Bülent Şam, Gözde Şirin, Scuba Diving Fatalities in Istanbul , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 9 No. 2 (2004)
- Hüseyin Bülent Üner, Bülent Şam, Ömer Kurtaş, Cafer Uysal, Ali Çerkezoğlu, The Factors That Effect on Dispersion of Shutgun Pellets , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 5 No. 2 (2000)
- Ümit Ünüvar Atılmış, Bülent Şam, Elif Ülker Akyıldız, Osman Öztürk, Oğuzhan Ekizoğlu, Case of Sudden Death Cause of Tubal Pregnancy Rupture , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 12 No. 2 (2007)
- Elif Ülker Akyıldız, Ümit Ünüvar Atılmış, Osman Öztürk, Ali Çerkezoğlu, Stenotic Bicuspid Aortic Valve the Case of Sudden Death Following Physical Activity , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 11 No. 3 (2006)
- Arzu Akçay Turan, Işıl Pakiş, Nadir Arıcan, Ferah Karayel, Bülent Şam, Gamze Kavas, Büge Öz, Delayed Neuropathologic Changes After Carbon Monoxide Intoxication Two Case Reports , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2003)
- Muhammet Can, Hüseyin Bülent Üner, Özlem Sarıkaya, Mehmet Tok, Gürol Berber, Esin Akgül, Ali Çerkezoğlu, Clothing Examination in Forensic Medicine , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 10 No. 2 (2005)
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Beijer R. Experiences with zincon, a useful reagent for the detamination of firing range with respect to leadfree ammunition. Journal of Forensic Sciences 1994; 39(4): 981-7.
- Di Maio VJM. Gunshot wounds. Pratical aspects of firearms, Ballstics and Forensic Techniques. Elsevier, New York, Amsterdam, Oxford. 1985: 14-9, 267-75.
- Gunaratnam L, Himherg K. The identification of gunshot residue particles from lead-free sint<» ammunition. Journal of Forensic Sciences 1994; 39(2): 532-6.
- Fatteh A. Medicolegal investigation of gunshot wounds. J.B Lippincott Company. Philadelphia- Toronto 1976: 1-2.
- Üner HB. Geliştirilmiş Griess Testi ile atış Uzaklığı tayini. Adli Tıp Dergisi, 1993; 9: 97-104.
- Dillon JH. The Modified Griess Test: a chemically specific chromophoric test for nitrite compounds in gunshot residues. AFTE Journal. 1990; 22(3): 243-50.
- Steinberg M, Leist Y, Goldscmidt P, Tassa M. Spec- trophotometric Determination of Nitrites in Gunpowder Residue on Shooters Hands. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 1984; 9(2): 464-70.
- Zeichner A, Glattstein B. Improved Reagents for Firing Distance Determination. Journal of Energetic Materials. 1986; 4: 187-97.