The Journal and content of this website is licensed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) License. The Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) allows users to copy, distribute and transmit an article, adapt the article and make commercial use of the article. The CC BY license permits commercial and non-commercial re-use of an open access article, as long as the author is properly attributed.
Medicolegal Approach to the Neck Incisions a Case Report
Corresponding Author(s) : İbrahim Sayın
The Bulletin of Legal Medicine,
Vol. 15 No. 2 (2010)
Cut neck injuries are rare situations that need urgent evaluation and intervention. Although a cut throat injury is mainly a mortal situation, the outcome is directly related with the speed of intervention and the properties of the injury. An important point in cut neck injuries is the forensic evaluation of the injury. This evaluation is mandatory for etiology which will be homicidal, suicidal or accidental. This evaluation also needs to perform with a multidisciplinary approach. This case report presented a male subject which has a cut neck injury with suicidal etiology. Besides the case presentation; multidisciplinary approach as well as forensic evaluation is also presented and discussed.
Key words: Neck incision, suicide, forensic medicine
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- İbrahim Sayın, Oğuzhan Ekizoğlu, Zahide Mine Yazıcı, İbrahim Erdim, Fatma Tülin Kayhan, Evaluation of Nasal Fractures and Forensic Medicine Approach , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 15 No. 3 (2010)
- İbrahim Sayın, Oğuzhan Ekizoğlu, Fatma Tülin Kayhan, Zahide Mine Yazıcı, The Importance of Proper Instruction Before Autopsy a Case Report , The Bulletin of Legal Medicine: Vol. 15 No. 3 (2010)
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- National Center for Health Statistics: Fast stats: self inflicted injury/suicide, http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/su- icide.htm (Erişim tarihi: 11.05.2011)
- Haukka J, Suominen K, Partonen T, Lönnqvist J. Determinants and outcomes of serious attempted suicide: a nationwide study in Finland, 1996-2003. Am J Epidemiol 2008;167:1155-63
- Gaynes BN, West SL, Ford CA, et al. Screening for suicide risk in adults: a summary of the evidence for U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, Ann Intern Med 2004;140:822-35.
- Moscicki EK, O’Carroll P, Regner D. et al. Suicide attemps in the epidemiologic catchment area study. Yale J Biol Med 1988;61:259-68.
- Andrews JA, Lewinshon PM. Suicidal attemps among older adolescents: prevalence and co-occurrence with psychiatric disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1992;31:662-65
- Payne-James J, Vanezis P. Sharp and cutting-edge wounds. In: Payne-James J, Roger Byard, Tracey Corey and Carol Henderson, editors. Encyclopedia of forensic and legal medicine. led. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 2005; 119-29
- Demirci S, Dogan KH, Gunaydin G. Throat-Cutting of accidental origin. J Forensic Sei 2008;53(4):965-67.
- Chadly A, Marc B, Paraire F Durigon M. Suicidal stab wounds of the throat. Med Sei Law 1991;31(4):355-56
- Marc B. Suicide: Etiology, methods and statistics. In: Pay- ne-James J, Roger Byard, Tracey Corey and Carol Henderson, editors. Encyclopedia of forensic and legal medicine, led. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 2005;236-44
- Pollack S, Saukko PJ. Self-inflicted injury. In: Saukko PJ et al. editors. Encyclopedia of forensic sciences, led. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 200;391-97
- Knight B. Self inflicted injury. In: Knight B, editor. Forensic pathology. 2nd ed. London: Oxford Univerist Press, 1996;231-42
- Pollack S, Saukko PJ. Defence injury. In: Saukko PJ et al. editors. Encyclopedia of forensic sciences, led. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 200;374-78
- National Institute of Mental Health: Suicide facts and statistics, http://www.nimh.niv.gov/suicideprevention/ sui- fact.cfm (Erişim tarihi: 11.05.2011)
- Gaynes BN, West SL, Ford CA et al. Screening for suicide risk in adults: : a summary of the evidence for U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2004;140:822-35
- Isometsa E, Henriksson M, Marttunen M et al. Mental disorders in young and middle aged men who commit suicide. BMJ 1995;310:1366-67
- Hawton K, Fagg J, Marsack P. Association between epilepsy and attempted suicide. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1980;43:168-70
- Barrachlough BM. The suicide rate of epilepsy. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1987;79:339-45
- Heikkinen M, Aro H, Lonnqvist J. Recent life events, social support and suicide. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1994; 377 supp:65-72
- Moscicki EK. Gender differences in completed and attempted suicides. Ann Epidemiol 1994;4:152-58